Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil hot tubbing?

Options
MeatEater
MeatEater Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever hot tubbed a 4lb london broil? Right now it is marinating in a mixture of..... 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, lots of fresh chopped garlic and fresh cracked black pepper. This is a great marinade for flank steak also!

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I haven't but absolutely no reason it would not work great.

Enjoy

Doug
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I hot tubbed a 2.5lb tri tip last weekend and it came out great.
  • MeatEater
    Options
    Well I just completed a hot tub on a 4lb london broil. Was eggcellent!!!! No pictures though, camera battery dead!!! I hot tubbed about one hour, more or less. Next time I probably will hot tub for at least one and one half hours, or a little more. Cooked at 475, about three mintues per side and let dwell for about seven minutes.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I just make sure they are properly sealed and toss into the spa, 102F, for an hour or so, Have done this with poultry, beef, hams, whole turkeys etc. The internal temp usually gets around 82-85F after an hour. Works great for me.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The whole idea of hottubbing came from an article in Cooks Illustrated, they wanted to come up with a way to make a cheap cut (London Broil) come out like a more expensive cut. I don't remember their cooking times but they hottubbed for 1 hour at 100 degrees. -RP
  • MeatEater
    Options
    I was wondering about poultry and turkeys? Do you hot tub the same as red meat? I have been tempted to do poultry, but was a little afraid of the outcome.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Over the years I have tossed into the spa frozen turkeys, chickens, butts and a few other large pieces of frozen meat. the key is to make sure the wrapper is secure. ziploc has a 2 gallon bag that I use sometimes. A 12 lb turkey takes more time then a 1 1/2 inch delmonico that is already defrosted. This works well for me.