Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Litin' fahrs

Options
Bud Ugly
Bud Ugly Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So Tim M tells me y'all Easterners replace the ceramic trivet w/ a cast iron trivet as an aid to lighting your BGEs. What's the deal there? Ain't heard of no cast iron trivet for the BGE before...[p]personally, i like to start some hardwood charcoal in a chimney & put about 15 or so briquettes on top of my lump. works real nice for me. my brother Les Ugly likes to use starters but i see that as bein' kind of un-ethical (ya know?).[p]anyways, I'm interested in this trivet thing and some of the other things y'all are up to.[p]regards,
bud ugly

[ul][li]Ugly Brothers Barbeque[/ul]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bud Ugly, wal bro Ugly..the trivet thang came up from our good friend in Colorado...a few yar back. Since then, I found a floor drain in the local hardware plumbing section. Tis about 8 inches and punched fulla holes. Works pretty good. Best thang is diamond mesh screen. We be workin on that one at present to make it presentable to all the BGE's. We are a innovative bunch..cain't cook BBQ wirt a dang..but handy wid da bench vise. Purdon me spelling but somehow I got derailed...Help is coming shortly..guaranteed.
    Cheers..C~W..thats short for Ugly Char-Woody.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    I forgot to mention George Nightingale in case he is looking. Camped out on the old USS Lexington Carrier for a few years during WW2. Grand fellow. He found the trivets.
    And if I forgot to mention it, welcome to the real deal here in Big Green Egg land. Hope we can assist as well as pick your recipe files apart..Join in...
    Cheers...Char-Woody[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Bud Ugly,[p]Easterners and some midwesterners too use these things. Some use an expanded metal type screen. The idea is to allow more air in and less chance to clog the few holes available by providing a lot more holes. I love mine. Its made by Lodge, who also make cast iron pans/skillets. You might find one locally.[p]Tim
  • Bud Ugly
    Options
    Char-Woody, Tim, et al,[p]You guys are incredible! By your fast response I've come to the conclusion that you guys eat, sleep and drink BBQ! ( a fine example I must say).[p]Thanks for the trivet info. Lodge sounds like a good source. Now Tim had mentioned something to me about lighting the fire from under the grate. What's the story there? My curiousity is tweaked.[p]regards,
    bud

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    44008.htm
    <p />Bud Ugly,
    Bryan made one of these for me,works great.
    YB

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I must have dropped the picture,let's try this.
    YB

[ul][li]Bryan's Grate[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04_small.jpg
    <p />Bud Ugly, - I have a medium so I needed something a little smaller - C~W's floow drail works great!

[ul][li]Trivets and Grates[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Bud Ugly, Shucks,,thats the way we all started our fires back in the start of this forum..newspaper was cheap, and the best draft was thru the ash pit..Wad up a some paper, stuff it in and light a corner of it. The draft sucked the flame up into the coals. From there we graduated to BGE's fire starter cubes, Weber cubes, Fire starter log chunks, and some still stuff those under the charcoal on the grate.
    It works..Same as making a hole in the charcoal and dropping it in from above..or as some do..drop it on top. I just figure its their adventure, and they can experiment to find whats best for them. Personally, I just shave off some fire log block into a recess in the charcoal, light it, open lower vent, close dome, and whooooof...in minutes I have a "controllable" pit fire.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Gfw, I love that name..Floor Drain just didn't cut it..heee!!
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Options
    YB, Good picture and good example of diamond mesh. It reminds me of the ones we did several years ago with the exception I used a single stainless steel bolt in the center with a 2" spacer tube and washers connected to another smaller diamond mesh screen that fits directly into the ash pit opening! It also solved the wobble of just a circle. Kind of a stabilizer tail if you will. I think I sent several out to K~G and others to try. They do work very nicely. Brian has a good idea there also.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Options
    Char-Woody, no one ever said I could spell! 2 errors in about 10 words... but them I not a Rhodes Scholar like Bill C.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Tim M, A little research on this rainy ole day gave me this if anybody wants to know. That Lodge (brand) trivet is part # 8DOT2 and is 8" in diameter. Gray & Holt Hdwe sell it for $7.95 Phone # 1-800-363-3777.[p]I'm thinking about one because again last night I had to get down on my knees and huff & buff to get a sufficient blast going to sear my steaks. By sight I could tell only four holes were clear! Often I plug in a hair dryer when I'm lazy - but seeing that I've never read anybody else mentioning that on this board I'll just keep that my little secret! Hey, it beats gettin all frustrated and out of breath!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RRP,
    I have been using the trivet for a while, and it works great. Lo/slo to sears. As Tim told me, it helps to flip it over everytime you do a full firebox cleanout. My first one got "bowled" pretty good. Looked like a yamika (sp?) with holes. Tim brought me up a new one, and I have been rotating it.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    trivet.jpg
    <p />RRP, you cam also buy it diirectly from Lodge at $7.95 - must be competition - last time I looked U.G.White was $7.95 and Lodge was $8.09 - both will sell it to you on their web sites.[p]Lodge: http://www.lodgemfg.com/cookware.htm - 7.95
    White: http://www.grayandholt.com/newlodge.htm 7.95

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Gfw, Thanks for the info, Gordon. I was going to call Kelly Seed in the morning because I swear I recall seeing many of the same cast iron pieces I saw in the G/H listings...after all it's just a trivet. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
    BTW I'm probably the last person in the world who hasn't ordered something over the internet with my plastic! Guess 28 years as a banker and seeing card fraud losses we had to eat left scar tissue when it comes to posting MY info in cyberspace! Ron

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bud Ugly
    Options
    Char-Woody, et al.[p]Picked up a lodge trivet today @ a local sporting goods for $5.95.[p]I'll let y'all know how it works for me.[p]tanks,
    bud

• Char-Woody
    Options
    bud ugly, that will work very well. My preference is diamond mesh screen..Its cheap, long lasting and vents well to the charcoal with little or no clogging affects. The floor drains and trivets work much better than the standard ceramic grates.
    I am a tinker artist and working on a system that you can use all three at the individuals likes or dislikes in a ceramic mount.
    Let ya know when its available...I may make them locally in a ceramics shop..They have a cone 5 kiln available.
    Cheers..C~W[p]