Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - secret to fall off the bone tender

Options
Avalanche
Avalanche Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done ribs on my large BGE quite a few times using varying methods (3 1 1.5, 5 hours indirect, etc.). All have provided satisfactory results but to date, I have not had any method result in 'fall off the bone' tenderness.[p]I typically cook them in a rib rack over indirect heat and a drip pan at approx 225-250 for around 5 hours.[p]Is there any secret to getting the ribs to be as 'fall off the bone' tender as pulled pork? [p]I am wondering if the internal meat temperature of the ribs is not getting to a sufficient level to cause them to get this tender (i.e. maybe the collagens haven't broken down sufficiently)?[p]I do not own a Thermapen and haven't yet attempted to insert my Polder between two bones in an attempt to monitor the meat temperature. Maybe I should try the Polder at attempt to reach the magic 199-201 degree mark that works so well with Pulled pork in making it fall off the bone succulent?[p]Any ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]I prefer my ribs to NOT fall off the bone, typically that means that they are OVER cooked. If you WANT them that tender then just cook them longer but be sure to keep them moist, maybe foil them with some liquid toward the end of the cook. Eventually they will get to be "fall off the bone" tender if you cook them long enough.[p]Troy
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I also think the 'falling off' is a little too much.[p]That being said, what type of ribs are you talking about?
    I assume pork but are they back or spare.[p]5 hours is probably a little on the light side for spares.[p]Toy Man

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    sprinter,
    i like them to have a slight pull from the bone and stay away from foil all together, even go direct instead of inderect, but like you said, more time in the foil will make them fall apart. put some seltzer water in there when you wrap as it works as a tenderizer. foiled ribs are to mushy for my liking, but theres lots of ways to cook them so try as many ways and choose the way you like best

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Avalanche,
    Here's another take on the "fall-off-the-bone". There used to be a restaurant in the old Hell's kitchen area of NYC that cooked beef ribs in a unique way. The recipe was published in the NY Times years ago, and I have made it several times.[p]Basically, it calls for marinating a slab (usually 4) of short ribs of beef in a mix of wine, onion, beef broth, spices, etc over night. They are then braised in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours. At that time the bones can be slipped out of their melted collagen cases and the slabs are grilled over a hot fire to put a crust on them. The liquid from the braising is boiled down to thicken it (now with all the beef fat) and used as a sauce. They are VERY GOOD.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]Just skip the last step of the 3-1-1.5, and do 3-1.5. When you wrap them in foil for the 1.5 hours, be sure to put in some liquid, such as beer. When yo finally pull them off, they should be fall-off-bone tender. I go both ways on that. Sometimes, I like them to "fall off the bone", and sometimes I like them to cling to the bone a little bit.[p]
  • Avalanche
    Options
    Toy Man,
    I typically cook baby backs but have also done spares.[p]

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]The way I do them is simple, and they come out falling off the bone. [p]Cook whole babyback slabs (I have fit five on at once) indirect at 250 for 3 hours, flipping every 45 minutes. [p]Cut the slabs in half. Put them in a three to four inch deep disposable aluminum pan, cover with aluminum, then cook indirect for two hours. [p]Finally,remove platesetter and sauce a side, put it sauce side down, sauce the upside, and repeat on all slabs. Cook direct at 250 for about 15-30 minutes. When you try to flip them, a bone or three will fall in the fire. [p]You're done. Remove and plate. Wait a few minutes (if you can), and eat up.[p]My five slabs lasted about 15 minutes sunday and got rave reviews...
  • Avalanche
    Options
    sprinter,
    Interesting you say that. I've received an email from a 'veteran BBQ judge' and he too said that ribs are not intended to be 'fall off the bone' tender.[p]This veteran judge said 'ribs must have a firm texture and be bitten off the bone'. In addition he states 'one of the many criteria used in judging ribs is the texture'[p]So....sounds like if you're cooking for a contest, you wouldn't want them this tender.[p]See.....I just keep getting more educated all the time on this forum. Ain't it great!!!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Avalanche, Using foil in the process is basicly steaming the ribs, sort of like putting them in a crock pot or a covered roasting pan. "I" have found that steaming takes some of the flavor out of them. I have done st louis ribs indirect at 250 dome for about 6 hours then grilled to my likeness. Some meat will fall off the bone and some need a small wiggle. Some non rib joints will boil their ribs then grill them to get that fall off the bone affect, but loose all flavor.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    I think that, at the end of the day, you have to cook them how you like them. Firm, tender, falling off the bone, if you like them, then they're right for you...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    exactly, try a few methods and figure out how you like em best.

fukahwee maine

• egghead2004
    Options
    Ribs%20almost%20done%20050202%20001.jpg
    <p />Avalanche,
    I add 1/4" apple slices on top of the ribs when I foil them. The apples cook and release moisture slowly and help make the ribs almost fall off the bone and keep them moist. I have added mushrooms in there too, they don't add flavor, just slowly release moisture. After I remove the ribs from the foil and cook the final stage, I keep the apples on the ribs and rub them in a bit with BBQ sauce. At this point the apples are mush and mix nicely into the BBQ sauce. The ribs end up with a spicey(from a spicey rub) sweet (from apples), and sauce flavor.
    Outstanding method, I forgot who on the forum posted it a few months ago, but it works great.

• fishlessman
    Options
    egghead2004,
    i like em less fall off the bone, but still like to mix it up, those look great and are on my list for the weekend

fukahwee maine

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Avalanche,
    For loin backs, just over 205 internal should do it as long as you've taken a good five or six hours to get there.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i've slathered ribs with thick applesauce or apple butter before with really good results (usually in conjunction with dizzy raging river rub). ..i'll have to try the apple slices as well. ..

• egghead2004
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I hear ya, falling off the bone is a bit too much for me, I had them that way once and I could harly get them off the grill. I like 'em so you have to pull the bone a bit and all the meat comes off or the bone pulls out easily.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]Just my personal taste in ribs but I'm also a KCBS judge and a competition cook so I HAVE to cook them that way for the judges. Fall off the bone ribs in a competition will get you no points at all.[p]However, I DO cook DIFFERENTLY at home than I do when I cook in a competition. My flavors in my home rubs lean way more towards the spicy and for competition rubs I shy away from those flavors and spices and go with sweeter rubs typically. I cook much more middle of the road at competitions to try and please the tastes of the general public or the avarage person and most dont like real spicy meats.[p]Troy
  • tach18k
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I did 18 racks the same way last summer. After the 3 hour cook I put them in the pans. Then put them in the fridge for a few days. The pans were warmed up to temp in an oven. Then to the grill they went. They were great, well I was told so never ate them, not my party. I made an Hawawiian type BBQ sauce just for this.

• Mark Backer
    Options
    TACH18K,[p]Are you saying you did 18 racks at one time, or total?
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Avalanche,
    "Falling off the bone" is overcooked. You want your ribs to have some pull to them, after all, how enjoyable can a rib be if the meat keeps rolling down the front of your shirt and landing in your lap every time you raise one to take a bite? It's my understanding that in competition, judges don't even bother sampling ribs that are falling off the bone. [p]Indirect for 5 hours above 225 is gonna dry them out some, I do St Louis style ribs between 200 and 210 for the majority of the cook. Three hours indirect with apple, cherry, and hickory smoke with the occasional basting of 3 parts hard cider to 1 part cider vinegar, then about 1 hour in the foil with sauce. I usually don't pull them out of the foil until the meat has pulled back at least 1/2 inch, then it's about 30-45 minutes indirect to get them good and sticky until 1 full inch of bone is showing and then I open up the vents to heat things up and give them about 10 minutes per side direct, just for the grill marks. [p]This is just what works for me after a couple of years of fussing and tweaking to get where I think I oughta be. Lots of flavor, slight pull off the bone and melt in your mouth tender.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• tach18k
    Options
    Mark Backer, 9 racks one night and nine the next. Nine racks were in at a time. 3 hour cooks at night means late nights.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Avalanche,
    3, 1.5,1,square root of -1, hike.
    As others have said, personal preference is the bottom line here. That's what's great about our country. As for me, I've never foiled a rib in my life. I haven't foiled any train robberies or communist plots either, for that matter.[p]When it comes to ribs (baby backs), I go 250 indirect for 5 hours or so with a fistful of hickory and/or pecan chunks. Sometimes when I feel like really living on the edge, I revert back to my water smoker days and throw some water, or cider vinegar, or any kind of volatile liquid (I love the smell of napalm in the morning)I can get my hands on. [p]My family does like the falling-off-the-bone texture. Fortunately for my personal tastes, they usually come off with a tad bit more body to them than that. I'll make my usual apologies and promises of keeping them on longer next time. These suckers freeze great too, and stand up well to reheating in the nuker.