Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunshine State Eggfest 2011 Pix

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm at the tail-end here...I got home at 1 AM Monday morning and am not through unpacking yet. It was a jam-packed and energetic weekend and full of wonderful people and amazing cooking.

DSC01603.jpg
This is ClayQ and the wonderful bratwursts he brought from Wisconsin. I haunted him till they were ready to serve. When I lived in Madison WI I spent a lot time at the Brathaus restaurant.

Here are pix from the Iron Chef contest:

DSC01604.jpg
Jay (SSN686) and Kathy. (One of my best taste memories: Jay and Kathy's incredibly delicious Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Watch for it when the recipes are published.)

DSC01605.jpg
Julie (Mainegg), "The Girl With the BGE Tattoo," now on the best sellers' list.

DSC01609.jpg
Faith (Florida Grillin Girl), Dr. Bill (lowercase bill), and Julie were the team.

DSC01613.jpg
The first round of ingredients for the competition displayed. The tomatoes were the first to go, and garlic was second.

DSC01614.jpg
BILL (lowercasebill), Rebecca (eenie meenie) and Jay (SSN686) choosing ingredients. [It is just a possibility, nothing definite to go on, but I think eenie meenie (Rebecca) may have hidden lowercasebill's shoes, which forced him to go barefoot for the ENTIRE weekend. That's why SHE stepped on the hot grape tomato (karma) and lost her glasses (temporarily), and Bill went without a scratch. Just a theory.]

DSC01617.jpg
JBUG99999

DSC01626.jpg
I believe his name is Carlo. I could only take good pictures of the two teams in good light, as the tent over the further teams made it too dark to photograph.

DSC01638.jpg
The team captains watching their plates being judged. big'un, Carlo, Jay, Faith, and ?.

The after-party just starting:

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01643.jpg
In the foreground is Ruth Dunham, Mrs. Sparky66. A wonderful lady!

DSC01644.jpg
That's PattyO in the middle in a gray shirt. Very nice to have met her. The scraped-dry CI skillet in the left corner is from Mainegg's Roasted Grape Tomato dish that set everyone back on their heels.

DSC01648.jpg
Jupiter Jim and KayNoCook, two of the nicest people on earth. Don't think Kay is 1) drained of blood...she has full rosy cheeks and is in bad light, and 2) not a cook, as she made me swoon with the first taste of her pineapple pie. Jim has great alligator stories to tell.

DSC01654.jpg
Here are two pictures because Faith wanted to make sure she got the ones she's smiling in. This is #1, Michelle (Little Chef); her mom Barbara; itsy-bitsy Pat, Faith's mom; and Faith (Florida Grillin Girl).

DSC01656.jpg
This is #2.

DSC01657.jpg
Sabrina and Mike Storno (Pork Butt Mike). He is one of the group that planned this sensational event, and such a sweet guy. I hope he's had time to recharge after all this work!

And a very special thanks to Pat Poolman for picking me up, and to King Richard, my very own personal tour guide to the wonders of Melbourne. Here is a typical saucy Melbourne touch:

DSC01658.jpg

The Yen Yen restaurant's famous Heavenly White Prawns that Richard has just about duplicated:
DSC01661.jpg

And last of all, thanks for the Pearl hot dogs that he tended with such meticulous care till my plane took off.

DSC01663.jpg

I grilled one on the Mini, along with a whole wheat bun, then loaded it Chicago style with mustard, onions, sweet relish, and sport peppers, with a spear of Nathan's Half-Sour Dill Pickles. Yes, I did already take a bite out of one end. Of course you can't see the hot dog under all that. I grilled a whole tomato till soft and the skin slipped off, and mixed it with green beans.

Quite an event-filled few days, and everyone who worked on it deserves a huge round of applause!!!!!

THE END
Judy in San Diego

Comments