Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question for those who compete

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just for fun, we are entered in a MBN comp. this weekend(ribs only). The guy running the show says not to cut the ribs for the blind box. He says tear them into two bone sections and place them in the box. Does that sound right to y'all? I wouldn't imagine it looks very good without smooth edges. I would be grateful for any other advice!

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Some that have done MBN events will be able to speak better. I have heard of double bone sections but not sure if they are cut or torn.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I ONLY do KCBS sanctioned comps(cook & or judge).We ALWAYS cut them.Not sure about MBN.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    Never done MBN, but you can always do a "Cadillac Cut" or "Hollywood Cut". You find a good rib, and cut the meat right up against the bones next to it, essentially making the turn in rib doublly thick.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You can cut them into 2 full bone sections, or you can do a double cut as described above.

The point is for the judge can pull the ribs apart to test the tenderness.

I would cut them into 2 bone sections and make sure they are fall off the bone and plenty sweet.

Give the on site judges a full rack each if you can.
  • quenut
    quenut Posts: 2
    Options
    Cut them into 2 full bone sections as Bobby said. Been cooking MBN for years ribs only and have done well. IF you are coooking Smokin Pork `n Butts County look us up Quenut BBQ.