Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

sour cream & cheddar mashed potato fries & burgers

ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,337
edited 4:03AM in EggHead Forum
This was 3 days in the making. I was planning a turkey cook for Sunday & wanted sour cream & cheddar mashed potatoes to go along with it. So I baked the potatoes on Saturday while the egg was already hot for some Stromboli. I made the mashed potatoes yesterday morning & of course there were leftovers following dinner last night. Tonight’s dinner was to be cheeseburgers & whatever, and when I woke up this morning I thought maybe French fries would go well with the burgers, especially if they were made out of the leftover mashed potatoes. So early this morning I rolled them out into a rectangle & popped in the freezer. Tonight, I cut the frozen block into large French fry shapes, dredged in flour, egg wash & breadcrumbs. Preheated oil in the cast iron pan to God knows what temperature, all I know is when I put the first round in they took all of 30 seconds combined on both sides to fry to a nice color.

Tell you what, it’s hard to explain just how tasty these things were along side of some home ground cowlicked chuck burgers with American cheese on toasted English muffins & some ice cold beer to go along with 82 degrees & sun:

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,492
    Do you ever work?

Caledon, ON

• Yum!

Looks like a keeper recipe.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    OH YES! Me LIKES!!! :woohoo:
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,337
    the less the better
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,349
    WOW, Just wow. Looks really good! Bookmarked
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    That's a pretty impressive use of the taters! I've thought about a similar cook using leftover mac-n-cheese (after having paid a ridiculous price for fried mac-n-cheese at Cheesecake Factory). Thanks to your tutorial I've got a plan!!!! :woohoo:
  • Those mash fries look and sound great. Going to have to give that a try.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,492
    Do you not know that frying on the egg is hazardous? I mean what would happen if it caught fire? You would have to quickly close the dome and vents!

Caledon, ON

Elizabeth, a plan is always good :laugh: ; freezing was definitely the key to this though probably wouldn't be necessary with macaroni & cheese, that stuff gets pretty stiff just refrigerated
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I bet Littlelip dug the heck out of those!!
    Try a little cream cheese and roasted garlic in your next batch of mashed taters.
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Well, aren't you the clever lad. Those look absolutely delicious.

How did you make the sour cream cheesey mashed potatoes to begin with?
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Zippy, how do you think of these wonderful conconctions? Yum. :)
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Zippy, when I see you start a post and the little camera shows up I know it is a must read. It will always be something creative that amazes me. Your brain cells seem to be working on something even when you sleep, I have problems getting mine to work when I'm awake. Now what is next, a mash tator-french fry pie?? Mike
  • WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    Great looing "leftovers" Marc. That's a wonderful idea!
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Those fries look great
    Going on the "to do" list :laugh:
    Thanks for the post

• LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    those look crazy good!
    context is important :)
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    looks tasty! I mean... how bad could it be? Taters, bread, fried... I would go for that!

Burger looks great too... the wife and I were just talking about doing some burgers on english muffins. Nice cooks.
    Large and Small BGE *
  • nuynainuynai Posts: 101
    Just to make sure, were they still frozen when you fried them after breading, egg wash, etc.
    Also, perhaps some bacon bits included?
    Nuynai, yes, they were frozen solid when they hit the oil. It was an experiment, I hoped that the middle would heat up by the time the outside coating was nicely fried. The alternative would be to risk them falling apart if thawed out before frying. Turned out to work well, even in less than a minute of cooking time the interior was nice & hot. Seems that as soon as they hit the oil the coating solidified allowing the fries to maintain their shape. These had no bacon bits, but you could put anything in there you want.
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    How very clever.I bet the fries were great. The burgers looked very gourmet. thanks for sharing, Randy
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Wow, Zippi, just wow. That is a something I now feel compelled to try, looks too good.