Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well. I ain\'t dead yet.

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pics to follow, but given that taxes are done, it's 70+ degrees out, and I'm three martinis in, I will say that (in my unofficial opinion) the fat and outer inch of a 100-day dry-aged steak is phenomenal. The inner meat tastes the same as the 60-day, but with a lesser texture. Maybe too much water loss at 100 days. Doesn't make it hard, but almost feels hollow and empty like a dry sponge. Same size, but not firm enough. Vacuous. Like Fidel

So. Verdict? Well. 60 days was still the best steak I have ever had. 100 days is nice to have as a feather in the cap. But taken together, makes me wonder what 75 days is like

Time for Hoss or 2fategghead to go to (only) 75 and inspire a new generation.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I will have to get a ribeye primal and take it to 75 days. :) When I do I'll talk to you first. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LC served hers at the after party. TO DIE for!!!! cant start one now as we head home in a week or two. but will set them up when back in the grate white north..
  • stike
    i still need to try your bacon. your bacon pics have inspired me.

:)

as far as the dry-aging goes, at least it's nice to have found my personal upper end. although, if it were more humid, i wonder how 100 days would go. because it wasn't a case of poor taste, just that the texture at 100 days was a little lacking.

hmmmm... maybe i'll start humidifying! :laugh:
  • stike
    LC? i think you must be mistaken. she would never advocate such foolhardy foodsafety foolishness. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Jeff, I tried to document that belly cure as well as I could with lot's of pic's. The 5 pounds of belly I cured using Hi Mountain was very good but, after speaking to LC I feel the slab was sliced with the grain by mistake because the texture was chewy. The other 5 pounds was fantastic using the Tender Quick in a sweet peppery recipe.

About your thoughts on dry aging I feel you may be on to something by adding humidity during the drying process. That way of thinking has many variables. My mind is swimming with ideas... ;)
  • stike
    i'm just giving you grief about the bacon. i have been posting more than a few bacon pics the past 18 months or so, and every time someone gives you or someone else props, i always get an email from a few 'interesting' people asking me how it feel that you are getting all the bacon love.

i try to remind them that i didnt invent bacon, and that if anyone here deserves credit, it's thirdeye.

things come in waves. lots of folks doing the Trex steak have no clue who Trex is, for example.

so, if you get forum-cred for the bacon posts, that's no skin off my nose. i owe it to Thirdeye, bill, and a couple oldtimers who were makin bacon afore i ever did.

i say, bacon all 'round!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I,for one,am glad you're not dead.I will attempt to procure a subprimal of beef loin this next week and embark upon the journey to beef nirvanna,75 day commando dry aged steaks.I may follow in your footsteps and sample at 21,28,35,45,60 and 75 day intervals.Thank you for risking your life and reporting on the 100 day results. :)
  • stike
    Not a bad plan, man Will be good to hear whatcha think

But i am not going to be able to reply much more tonight

Hard. To. Type. Through. The. Searing. Abdominal. Cramps.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Little Chef cooked up 6 or 8 dry-aged ribeyes and strips at the afterparty and they came out great. Never tried them much before but after yours and others posts I'm going to have to give it a shot
  • 2Fategghead
    Ha! When I get contacted I wonder why because It was my first but, I say pay it forward and splain what I did and how it cam out...it helps me think how I did it and where I could do better. Several times I say "Stike said..." and kinda leaving thirdeye out there. :blink: I have come to you on several occasions as well as thirdeye. This forum is a wonderful place. :)
  • stike
    We've been trying to tell you all...
    Hahahaha
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Yea but you know me,, I only listen to the voices in my head :ermm:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeff, I'm doing it my way using a DrybagSteak product, but I'm now at day 30 on the way to 60 days with this beautiful rib eye sub primal that after trimming still weighed in at 16 pounds. At the start:

IMG_2108.jpg

Now half way through:
    IMG_2140.jpg

Counting off the next 30 day!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffery Steingarten wrote an article about dry aging steak. It is included in his book It Must've Been Something I Ate. Anyway, his analysis concluded with the same 60 days is the best tasting.

He also did a study of major steakhouses in America, and found that only two dry age beyond 35 days, and several wet age. Bern's in Tampa is a real treat. The other was the famous Peter Luger.

Lastly, for a really unique steak experience get a full intact spinalis dorsi muscle that has been dry-aged (the most flavorful part of the ribeye cut).

David Burke's Primehouse ages at 34 to 40 degrees with 60% to 70% humidity and a pink himalayan salt block wall. They dry them as sub-primals on wire racks. They dry ribeyes, chuck for burgers, sirloin, short loin (porterhouse -- sirloin NY strip and tenderloin or KC strip), and some experimental stuff like prosciutto, veal (maybe breads), brisket, kidneys.
  • stike
    the subject
    01-thawing.jpg

everyone getting soaked
    02-soaking.jpg

salted
    03-salted.jpg

searing
    04-searing.jpg

obligatory plated pic, least blurry one i have :blush:
    05-blurry.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    You're now officially on the panettone list stike. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Jeff, Great looking steak.

Should a person dry age a prime cut or choice...

Is the reason for dry aging to improve the flavor?

Will dry aging make the meat more tender?
  • stike
    Yes. Yes. Yes.
  • stike
    What's the panettone list?
    :ermm:
    Are there rules for getting on/off the list? And are bribes encouraged?
  • eenie meenie
    Nope stike, once you're on the list, you're on the list. :evil: No returns allowed. However, in a pinch, you could regift it to Little Steven at Christmas time to use as a hockey puck.

You're on the list because I told you I'd send you one if you ate the brown end and lived to tell. Those drinks must have killed some of your memory cells. :pinch:

You'll just have to wait until the moon and stars align so that #1 I have time on my hands and #2 The temperature is 68 degrees in my house.
  • stike
    I won't regift a panettone, no way.
    Thanks very much!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rebecca,

He never even shares. Is there some rule against shipping bread to Canada? :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    For you Steven, anything. After all you were my most generous elfster! :)