Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Jalapeno Rack and Corer

Options
Cagey
Cagey Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up the new BGE jalapeno rack with corer at the Sunshine eggfest. I used it the very next day. Luckily, I had been given a few pointers as how to use it, so it worked fine.

The secret I was told is to make sure that you purchase straight jalapenos about the size of your thumb in diameter. The holes in the rack are 1 inch in diameter. The corer is 3/4 inch in diameter. So any jalapeno not that wide or crooked jalapeno will have the side torn out.

After you cut off the stem, insert the corer. Either rotate the corer counter clockwise inside the jalapeno, or rotate the jalapeno clockwise around the corer. If you look at the corer itself, you will see which way you need to rotate it or the jalapeno, so the cutting teeth work. Work it all the way to the bottom of the jalapeno, and the core comes right out with most if not all the seeds. My 8 year old was able to use it once I showed her how. She had a good time coring the jalapenos, though both of us were slightly coughing when we were done with 20 of them.

We filled the jalapenos with a mixture of cheese, cream cheese, and bacon pieces. They turned out great. The only issue I found was that one jalapeno would be mild in spice temperature, and the next one would be on fire.

I made sure all the seeds had been removed, and that the entire inner white core/stem was removed. Any ideas how to moderate the temperature? I did not mind it so much, but the wife and kids did not like the real spicy ones.

I fully recommend the BGE jalapeno rack and corer. They work as advertised, and they appear to be well made for years of usage. I just have to figure out how to regulate the heat of the jalapenos.

Cagey

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds good.
    I am old school: just a grapefruit spoon.
    Have the same problem after 20 :ohmy:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I do not know that this will work for sure because I have never tried it, but have read that soaking the cored peppers in sprite will lessen the heat.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I slice mine lengthwise and take out the seeds and leave some of the rib. I like mine a spicy. I then stuff with goat, then shredded cheddar, the wrap with half a strip of bacon. No special rack or coring thing needed. Roasting the pepper completely takes out a lot of heat. You know there done when the bacon gets crispy. Yum. ATBs are one of my favorites. Big crowd pleaser too. I even tried habanaro poppers....once! :evil:
  • wattwizz
    wattwizz Posts: 33
    Options
    I grow my own peppers and not all peppers even from the same plant are alike. Weather, soil, watering are all factors. Other than making sure you scrape the membrane and seeds out I don't think you can regulate the heat.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks for the intel. I will try roasting them a little longer to see if some of the heat is removed. I see the rack being used a good bit more in the future.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I think the difference in heat with the different jalapeno peppers is quite common. Some have a good kick, others are mild. I don't know if there is a way to tell just by looking at it.
    context is important :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've never found a way to regulate the heat differences from store bought japs, but if you are growing your own, look for TAM Jalapenos. They are supposed to be mild compared to regular japs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jjessup532
    Options
    I purchased this stand and corer yesterday and honestly I was quite disappointed.  The corer does a poor job at removing the seeds and ribs.  The jalapeños in the end were just way to hot for my crowd.  24 hours later my lips are still on fire.  The holes in the stand are just to small for the jalapeños grocery stores cary in my part of NC.  If anyone wants to purchase a once used stand and corer I'll make you a deal!  Happy Cooking Everyone.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I found the best way to make them milder is to use the core tool to remove the seeds and core, then slice the pepper in half and use a small paring knife to completely remove the rib, the core tool won't completely remove it by itself. Then I  rinse the peppers completely and stuff them with cream cheese and 4 Mexican cheese mixed and your favorite rub then wrap with a half slice of bacon. I don't use the pepper stand, I just lay them cheese side up on the grate and cook 350 indirect. I usually don't have any that are real hot.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    removing the seeds and the white membrane portion of the interior of the pepper drastically reduces the heat level. In addition, cooking them also mellows them out. If you really want to get all the white membrane out, you would be better served by halving them for full access to the interior ribs of the pepper. Then you just prep them in halves and cook flat on the grid or reassemble them and cook them in a rack.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Use a grapefruit spoon, works wonders.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    another use for the rack is smores for the kids... it holds ice cream cones perfectly
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    This thread is useless without pictures
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
     The rack is crap, I only use it for an air gap between a pan and the plate setter now. 
     The coring tool is OK but not great. If the jalapeños are too hot maybe you need to stuff some sweet peppers or something.  Jalapeños might not be for you .
    Jacksonville FL
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    the one i got is from surlatable from a secret santa..... works good
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    the one i got is from surlatable from a secret santa..... works good
    I don't have the BGE rack but the couple of racks I've got work just fine. They each came with a corer and they also work fine - takes 5 seconds to core/ream out the ribs/seeds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk