Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Sunshine EggFest trip...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Don't know why I don't get very many pictures when I'm at an EggFest, but things just get going and I forget to get the camera out.

We started by loading up the car on Thursday (and I mean LOADED)...
S040711-01.jpg

Going over on Thursday was nice as we had plenty of time to plan/prep before Saturday...we started Saturday with a Sausage/Cheese bread roll (no pictures, but y'all have seen plenty of them). Next was a new dish for us...a ButterNut Squash & Apple casserole...a couple layers of squash topped with slices of apple topped with a butter/flour/brown sugar/mace mixture that melted and made the other items happy...here it is on my small using a double deck that I was able to come up with using Chubby's GrateMates system...a couple of pizza stones on the ring, one pan on three copper elbows for air flow, then the other pan on the grate on the taller GrateMate...
S040911-02.jpg

and just before taking off...
S040911-03.jpg

Next was a ham/Asiago & Swiss cheese roll...
S040911-05.jpg

then last was Pineapple Upside Down cake (again done using the double deck system to make two pans of cake)...here is one pan before turning "upside down"...
S040911-06.jpg

and turned out of the pan...
S040911-07.jpg

That was it for the "daytime" cooks...for the after party we had a surprise...chocolate cupcakes cherries jubilee...baked some chocolate cupcakes (again using the double decker system), these were topped with warmed cherries mixed with dark rum...then a sugar cube placed on top, poured white rum over it and lit...unfortunately you can't see the flame of the sugar cube, but it was cool...
S040911-19.jpg

Not sure if the video will work (didn't even realize I did it), but if you are quick you can see the flaming sugar cube for a second...
th_S040911-17.jpg

I'll send the recipes to egret in the next couple days for the recipe book.

Thanks again to LC, BubbaTim, Pork Butt Mike, Sabrina, Mainegg, Neil, Jupiter Jim, Kay and everyone else who helped to make this a FANTASTIC fest!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Thanks for posting - love looking at all the pics from the fests - that ham/swiss/asiago roll looks yummy! I'll be looking for that recipe. ;)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Jay, thanks for the pictures and the Light speed video.
    I have to say that I completly understand about how once things get going it is all over before ya know it and unless you are not cooking and walking around with camera in hand you wont have any pictures. I'm so bummed as I never got to sample any of your great food and if I was a Iron Chef judge you would have won. ;) I got out of bed at 4:50 AM Saturday and got back in bed at 12:15 AM Sunday. It was a great time and I'm ready for next year already.
    So nice to spend a little time with you and Kathy, looking forward to next November.
    Jupiter Jim and KayNOcook

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Thanks Jay. Yep I seen the sugar cube burn up. ;)
  • Everything was great.

Here ya go, Jay~

050.jpg

052.jpg

I missed the JayKathy shrimpburgers - just sayin!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Great pics and and great time. My first cook at an Eggfest and I think we tried to make too much. Lesson learned.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Jay: Was wonderful to see you and Kathy again! Thanks for all your efforts at the fest! Great cooks coming from your Egg as always! :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    All of that looks awesome Jay...love the cupcake idea...hope to see those in NOV.... ;)
  • Jay and Kathy, you prepare delightful dishes! The chocolate and cherries at the after party were magnificent. It was so nice to cook near you and visit with you. See you in the fall. :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Jay, I just wasn't quick enough this year. All I got to taste was your delicious squash with apples. :) I missed out on the chocolate cherry jubilee cupcakes, despite waiting in a ling line for the second batch. :( BTW, we all missed your shrimp sliders. :whistle:
    Glad to see you and Kathy made it home safely.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    It was great seeing you and Kathy again, Jay! And, thank you for the great breakfast sample Saturday morning. It was great, as usual. Ya'll did very well in the Iron Egg competition. I wanted to dig into that plate of yours!! :woohoo: