Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Steel Cooking Grid

407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my large egg for almost five years and I really love it. It makes a strong argument for buying a high quality product, treating it right and let it treat you right.

I have owned the adjustable rig for almost as long and its it also a great quality product. It lets me do almost anything that I can think of on the Egg with ease.

I however continue to be disappointed in the grids for the egg. While I like the results of the cast iron grid, there are times where life keeps me from cooking for a couple of weeks and I always return to a grid that has some rust.

The stainless steel grids (which I bought)for the Egg are not nearly of the quality that I see on friends gas rigs. These are very thin and dont compare to the heft of the 3/8 stainless steel grids of the gassers that cook like cast iron and require very little maintenance. (I'm taking only about the grids here ;) )

I've looked on line and found that a grid for another grill like the Egg (Komodo Kamado) buts it not the exact size nor shape that I need.

Has anyone found a 3/8 stainless steel grid for the Egg? I'm willing to spend the money should I find it but the only ones that I find are thin which is not acceptable.

Here is a picture:
grid.jpg

Thanks !

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    be careful about stainless steel. it's more dangerous than galvanized steel.
    (just baiting the naysayers)

looks great. the best single thing i ever bought for the BGE was tjv's stainless grid. that thing is still as-new. well, except for all the crud on it :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You may have to have one made. Someone here did that, but I can't remember who it was. Awesome looking grid though.

I don't understand the rust on the CI thing though. I've had mine for a year and a half, always outside (usually IN the egg, but I have forgotten from time to time and it has gotten wet), sometimes days between cooks (I also have a mini) - and there has never been even a hint of rust. Maybe it's because I never clean it. I brush some of the heavier deposits off from time to time, but that's it.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    ceramic grill store has great quality SS grids although I don't think they are 3/8". Tom would probably make one for you though.
    My CI's are like Carolinas, filthy with crud but rust free, don't clean CI.
    Stike, would 3/8" SS be proportinately more toxic than 3/16"? :evil: :P
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    I love SS grids too - I have bought some hefty ones for my basic Weber Genesis gasser (probably heresy on this board but when you want to grill a load of bacon....) and am very happy with them.
    For my Weber charcoal I occasionally use the grid from my kamado - another hefty unit - but not very often, the regular plated grid cooks better!
    On my egg I stick to the regular grid because it does really well - if I had a stainless I'd use (and abuse) it.
    It all comes down to the purpose of the grid. On my Weber kettle I want the food cooked over coals so want it suspended there by as little as possible with the easiest cleanup/maintenance as poss.
    Pretty much the same is true of my gasser except the cooks are usually shorter, have a fiercer pre-heat and I want an element of sear from the grid without any maintenance issues for infrequent use. On the egg it's usually a combination of char grill and oven both of which don't need the sear from the grid.
    Where is all this going? If I could get reasonable SS grids for my Kettle, WSM and Egg I would just for the worry free aspect. Do I want heft for searing? Not really (and SS is pretty poor for that anyway).
    YMMV.
    Good luck - 3/8 seems excessive (vs CGS 1/4 ??) but if that's what you really want a fabrication couldn't be too hard of you have the original for dimensions?
    Let us know and enjoy what you have meanwhile.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Maybe this would work for ya? Porcelain coated CI. Don't know anything about the vendor though.

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Porcelain-Coated-Cast-Iron-Round-Cooking-Grid-69991_path_7346-11253_item_1559823.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Have you tried seasoning your CI grate? I coated mine in Crisco and let it cook at 350 3-4 times in the egg and have never seen rust since.I also oil them down every now and then also.