Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a Hanger Steak recipe

thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a hanger steak in my freezer, never cooked one...any thoughts or favorite recipes would be appreciated.
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• mint-tulip
    mint-tulip Posts: 171
    Salt, pepper & cook it like a steak....delicious. ;)B)
  • there are a couple of ways you can go. ...first of all, you have to understand the steak itself....if you look at the whole steak from top to bottom lengthwise....you can see a white tendon running down the middle of it ....this piece of tendon is totally inedible. ...its like the the waistband in a pair of skivies!...

now, you can grill the steak whole and then cut around it while carving slices, or you can butcher the steak ahead of time, like french bistros do, cut that tendon out leaving two long pieces of steak which you then butterfly and pound into two thin, flat pieces. ...

either way, there are a number of ways to treat a hanger steak with great results. . ..you can simply season it with S/P or something like dizzy cowlick..or you can marinate it. ...hanger steak LOVES marinade!..but keep it simple. . .something like soy sauce and shallots or garlic...maybe throw a shot jack daniels in with it. ..but thats it...it just doesn't need anything else. .. you really want that great beefy flavor coming through!!!

as far as grilling it goes...you don't need or want to T-Rex it. . ..simply grill it in the 500 degree range to medium/medium rare. ...thats it....trick is when slicing it, particularly if grilled it whole, is to slice it down the length of the steak, which is against the grain, which actually runs against the short bias of the steak. ..

hope that helps. .. .its my favorite cut of beef....
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Tony,

Just cooked one up this week, wonderful cut of meat. I just put Montreal seasoning, then seared it close to the coals for about 90 seconds a side.

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0340.jpg
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    That looks like a tri-tip...I'll post another post and picture if I can get it done in time today. Thanks all.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Wow never cooked a hanger......you will be blown away at the great taste! I cook mine like i would any steak but i go heavy on the seasonnings. I also have a hanger philly crepe recipe that is really worth the try if you have time to cook.Here are a few pics of what i mean.....
    008-5.jpg
    018-7.jpg

And here is the philly hanger crepes

022-7.jpg
    021-9.jpg
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    oops forgot to put my recipe......

Philly Cheese Steak Crepes By DIRTY Michael Beaulieu

1 Hanger Steak
    4 or 5 Mushrooms
    1 Yellow Onion
    1 or two Green Peppers
    1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1/4 cup of milk and quarter stick of Butter (approx)

2 to 3 teaspoons of Original Todd's DIRT

Crepes

3 eggs
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup flour
    3TBS butter

Starting with the Crepes mix all the ingredients together till smooth. Spoon mixture on the pan to desire size. Cook in frying pan at high heat this will cook fast so keep an eye on it. Place on plate and refrigerate.

Take the hanger steak and well season it with Original Todd's DIRT . Heat your grill to High. Sear meat at high heat to lock in those juices and then cook to a medium to medium well. DO NOT OVER COOK THE MEAT please!! Then let it rest on a cutting board. In another pan with lots of butter and a good sprinkle of Original Todd's DIRT, cook the mushrooms,onions and green peppers, When tender, add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and about 1/4 cup of milk and stir till smooth and veggies are well covered. Turn off heat!!

Once the meat has had time to rest, use an electric knife and cut the hanger against the grain for more tender cuts and slice as thinly as you can. Then add the steak to your pan of veggies and mushroom cream mix and stir it around so the meat gets covered with the sauce. Take out the crepes and start building!! Start with one crepe in a dish and spoon in some of that great mixture then top with mozzarella cheese. Close the crepe and top with cheese again. Put it in a cooking pan. Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown! Let it set to cool off a bit and then enjoy!!!

Hint: You can use The BAYOU DIRT instead of the Original Todd's DIRT , to spice this steak up. This is sooooo good.

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Both of those look great Mike.

What kind of seasoning do you use?

We've done a couple in the last month or so. Fairly basic seasoning as I wanted to taste the meat. It was great.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Thanks for posting Mike - I read and responded to your original post first.

Michael
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Actually looks like a flat iron to me.

This is a hanger.

HangersTheRaws.jpg

and the tendon

HangersTheTendon.jpg

and trimmed/ready to cook

HangersTrimmed.jpg

and all done

Hangers.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Did RTD take those pics for you???? :ohmy: Dang that looks good enough to eat... B):)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nah, that was back when I wasn't too lazy to pull out the DSLR to take pics.

Now I just use the iphone and hope they're somewhat decent.