Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

breath in breath out.....

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need some encouragement.

I have my first big cook this weekend for 12 adults and 3 kids. I am doing 12 lbs (2x 6lb)of pork but and 2 spatchcocked chickens.

I have buterflies in my gut like he first time I got yanked out of the woods by a helicoptor attached only to a rope...some call it bubble gut...YEESH!

Planning on following Rick Stuart's plan for cooking the butts and the BGE Spatchcocked.

I am going to try and get it right so I can start the butts tomorrow maybe around 6pm and have them off in enough time to do the chickens and serve everyone between 12 and 1 in Sunday.

I will also be using a DigiQ

Advice, reccomendations, time lines..help ?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Have a "cooler," lots of HD foil, and towels ready to rest the butts until you are ready to pull and serve.

Relax a bit. I don't recall anyone having a problem with an automated cook other than having the fire burn down the center. So still mind the temperature a little. If you can keep the fire going, I can't imagine anything other than a good result.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    Cut the chicken in half. It makes it easier in many ways and doesn't change the outcome.
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Sounds to me like you've got it planned out pretty well and it should turn out pretty good!! So, quit stressin.....it sounds like a kick in the butt cook to me!! Good luck with it!!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Without specific advice for the cook (what is being cooked) I have specific advice for the cook (the one cooking,'er, stewing)

Relax. You have chosen a very forgiving cook--pork butt and chicken, that in itself is a good choice. You are hedging your bets with a DigiQ, another good choice.

Step into your handle young man! You CAN handle it.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I have done plenty of butts overnight at 250 dome and have found that starting about 10pm - 11pm will get your meat done before noon the following day. When you wake up and still have a long ways to go, you can bump your temp to 275 or 300 and finish in plenty of time. I pull at internal temp 200. However if you start at 6 that will give plenty of time to rest meat in cooler before serving.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Pork butts - one of the most forgiving cooks around. At 6# each, they should come off the pit about 12 to 14 hours after you start - at least that's been my experience. So, starting at 1800hrs, you'll have plenty of schedule wiggle room in which to raise the Egg temperture for cooking the chickens and then getting them done.

Like was mentioned, double wrap in Al foil, wrap in a towel, then place in a cooler. I've held cooked pork butts like that for more than four hours and when I removed them from the cooler, the meat temp was still well above 140°F. If you have any doubts at all, warm up some bricks in your egg and place them under the pork in the cooler when you pull the pork off the pit. That additional heat mass may extend the hold time.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    What were you doing it the woods attached to a rope? I'm assuming you found a rope and tied it to your waist. Then you discovered the rope was attached to the chopper.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Your 6 lb butts will be done in 8-12 hours at 250 dome. Best to start them later at night and if needed you can crank the temp up to 275 or 300 to finish.
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    "What were you doing it the woods attached to a rope"

hahah only time I wished I were in the ARMY so I could respond "HAAAARRRRRMMMYYY training Sir" (think Stripes)

We were actually Spi Rigging like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypg3EjjUMVE&feature=related (language)

your good until you see wheels come off the ground, then its pucker factor!
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    Well the cook stared at 6 and we are at 9:01 and temp is holding steadty at 250 meat internal temp 145.

Butchor gave me huge cuts. I asked for 5.5-6 lb and he gave me one at 6.5 and the other at 6.75. Plus i have 8 lb of chicken brining for the when pork comes off. So i am going to bave some leftovers...... Darn!

Might need to call in a beer reenforcement.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    R.E.L.A.X. those are the 2 most forgiving cooks you can do.Break a leg! ;)
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    5:19 am and my temp is there....only 11 hours.

Wraping in HD foil and putting in cooler with towles...

I hope this does'nt get to cold and dry out.. before lunch at noon?

Am I okay?
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    Thanks for everyones support!!!

Cook went very well and I now feel like I can do it all.. It went so well that the 12 vultures that came by ate damn near all of it. Left me with half a sandich bag of chicken and 1.5 sandwich bag of pork, to which my neighbor came by and took half.

The pork was SO GOOD, its gotta be that creaole butter.

Pregame
    IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0279.JPG

Finish
    IMG_0280.JPGIMG_0287.JPG