Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any eggheads taking tomorrow's KCBS judging class?

Options
walrusegger
walrusegger Posts: 314
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've put together a comp team and am doing a few months of research before we compete including taking the KCBS judging class in New Holland, PA tomorrow and attending some upcoming comps in the area. My fellow teammates (non eggers) and I did some practice last weekend with ribs and have brisket, butt and chicken weekend practice sessions planned before we do a whole dry run with all four.

We want to do our best, but we're much more in it for the fun, camaraderie and bbq tips along way. Any general tips on starting out are welcomed. I've done a lot of research, so I think I've got a lot down about what to expect, but I'm sure as with anything new and of this magnitude, there are some things you just can't prepare for. And no, I'm not fishing for secrets.

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The hardest thing for us was sticking to a timeline for each of the four meats.

Write it down, based on turn-in times and notice where you will have to be doing multiple things at the same time, so you can allocate the responsibilities or modify the timeline.

You need to do at least one "real time" practice run, with turn-in boxes and using actual turn-in times. If you can find a KCBS certified judge or two fro your practice run it will really help - ask him/her to judge honestly.

Good luck.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I agree on the practice run. It is totally different when you are time bound and when you are just cooking for fun. When you think you have enough time, build in just a little more time.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I think you will find the class will be more about what disqualifies an entry or other rules based items. You will get to sample some BBQ and go over scoring criteria. Your real experience will be judging a few contests. Then you get to see what really gets turned in and have a fell for what judges are looking for (or not wanting to see)

The meat from a judging class is generally cooked by a volunteer team and the group in the kitchen is putting multiple boxes together quickly. Don't expect the level of attention to presentation like a real comp.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Fornia, Jason, and his side kick will be there.
    Take pictures and let us know about your experience.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE