Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip?

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan on cooking indirect at 350. It only weighs around 3 lbs., looking for minutes to cook and should I cover with rub overnight. This is a lean piece of beef, so will slice thin for sandwiches.[p]CWM

Comments

• backyardbbq
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, I grill them direct at about 400 for about 10 to 12 minutes aside and let rest for another 10. I marinate them overnight in a tequila marinade and they are awesome. I would think you can rub them overnight.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    backyard bbq,
    I'm up for a different marinade if you want to share it with me. Also, pull at what temp? I will have to let set and then foil and take to meat cutter to slice.[p]CWM[p]Nice site

• backyardbbq
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, I can fax you the recipe from the store tomorrow as i do not have it at home. e-mail me with a fax number. It is a great marinade. I never use meat thermometers so I do not know the temp. I go by pressing on the meat and i like it medium rare.

• FlatEric
    Options
    backyard bbq,
    I agree on time and direct temps... one of my favorite cuts!!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have had great luck doing mine at 250 from the begining till it gets to 125-130, rest for 15 -20 minutes, then sear it to my likes. Always perfect.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    tach18k,
    Direct or indirect?[p]CWM

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I go 4-4.5 hours @250. Always great. The tri tips I get have a nice fat cap so the lo n slo works. Do it for 5 hours if it is frozen. Slather w/mustard, add bub and go. tstick

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    tstick,
    I think you mentioned that once before. I don't have a fat cap on the tri-tip. [p]You in the KC area and play golf?[p]CWM

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Indirect, then remove plate setter for the sear

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I just did one tonight as a matter of fact. Marinated it overnight. I rubbed it with Cow Lick about an hour before cooking. Seared first at high temps and then removed it ala Trex for 20 minutes. Put it back on at around 400 degrees for four minutes on one side and did the other side until it hit 132 degrees internal. After resting about 10 minutes, it wound up medium in the thickest part and medium well in the thinner part. Too done for me but it still had a great beef flavor. If you are looking for medium rare, pull it sooner.[p]Bob[p]

• Car Wash Mike, the last time I did a tri-tip I marinated it (maybe 24 hrs) in teriyaki sauce that I had blended-in with some papaya chunks. That was the most tender tri-tip I ever did. I probably marinated it too long for the amount of papaya used, as the texture was almost mushy.