Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long will Foodsaver Sealed Food Last

Options
jawilson
jawilson Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just picked up a Foodsaver. I don't want to go to crazy with buying bulk. How long does frozen food last before going bad?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I think they claim at least twice as long as conventional freezer wrap. And although I try and limit myself to 6 or 7 months, I've never had an issue with anything.

Most of the professional fishing outfitters are packing in vacuum bags now.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    where bad=unsafe? never

quality? a few years maybe before you might have signs of quality loss
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mtbbq
    mtbbq Posts: 14
    Options
    Just cooked a pork shoulder over a year old that was great. Remember the New york Natural History Club that ate 10,000 year old wolly mammoth a while back.

Jack
    Polson, MT
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    my word of advice from personal experience is to not go nuts now! Instead build up your inventory of Food Saver frozen foods over a period of time. That way all stay more current as you'll have turn over. Be sure to use a permanent marker on the bag for the date bagged and frozen!

For instance - length of time frozen is an issue with my wife as she is a bit skittish, but this year I'm still eating some pints of terrific ham and bean soup I made back in '07. With my trusty Magic Marker the 7 is easily made into a 9 and while wifey shakes her head at me enjoying "2 year old" soup she doesn't know it's really 4 years old! :laugh: That was several great batches of soup I made that year! Hey if wine can have good vintage years why not my soup! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I have never gone past 6 months. I don't have a deep freezer, so all my food in the freezer goes thru a freeze defrost cycle. I have never seen any freezer burn.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

We justed finished some freezer jam my late grandmother made many years ago. Either '99 or '01 I think. :ohmy: :P