Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spell it out for me...

Options
TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nobody in our small town has brisket, so I called over to the next town which is about 30 minutes away (that is country minutes) who has a butcher shop. They didn't have any brisket either, but said they could have me one tomorrow. So here is what I have...

XL BGE
plenty of BGE lump charcoal
bag of hickory wood chips
bag of mesquite wood chips
BGE Pecan seasoning
some basic seasoning

I have bee looking at recipes, but have not found one for a simple cook.

What dome temp should I smoke it at? approx cooking time at that temp.

I assume indirect heat, do I need a pan of liquid under the meat on the platesetter?

What seasoning or chips should I use?

what internal temp do I cook to? I am not clear on all this pulling, wrapping, towels, etc.

I know I have to learn and hate to be so stupid about this stuff, my next door neighbors (husband and wife) are both doctors from Texas, so the pressure is on.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I do as simple a brisket as it gets and haven't had a bad one yet.

Here are the 10 simple steps:

1.) Cover brisket with cheap yellow mustard.
    2.) Liberally apply your favorite rub.
    3.) Set up indirect & get the egg to 225 grid level / 250 dome.
    4.) Put the lid down and only peak if you absolutely have to.
    5.) Cook to an internal temp of 195-200.
    6.) Take off and wrap in heavy duty foil.
    7.) Wrap that in a large towel.
    8.) Put it in a cooler for an hour or more.
    9.) Take out and slice against the grain.
    10.) Eat

* Expect a 7-8 pounder to take maybe 10-11 hours, but it certainly can vary.

Enjoy!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    R.D.,
    Thanks for sharing but you don't say weather you do them direct or indrict. I'm thinking indrict!!
    Thanks Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TheLazyC
    Options
    That seems simple enough. I see a lot of recipes call for mustard on this forum. I have never heard of that before.

Do I need to add any wood chips? What about liquid, seems like I used to hear people putting applejuice in a pan, but haven't see that listed anywhere on here either.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Jupiter Jim wrote:
    R.D.,
    Thanks for sharing but you don't say weather you do them direct or indrict. I'm thinking indrict!!
    Thanks Jupiter Jim

You're right, I missed that. I'll have to fix that. Definitely indirect.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    TheLazyC wrote:
    Do I need to add any wood chips? What about liquid, seems like I used to hear people putting applejuice in a pan, but haven't see that listed anywhere on here either.

I don't do any liquid. I usually throw one or two chunks of smoke wood in with the lump. Chips will work OK too, just won't last as long.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Hey LazyC. If you have some time, I did a series of 3 videos last year that go into pretty good detail about doing a whole brisket. Take a look if you want. It might help you:

PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwzGVBeQtc

PART 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-MTeWycw8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

PART 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtbeM5pPVQ&feature=BF&list=ULKZss3HOUklc&index=5
  • TheLazyC
    Options
    Thanks, couldn't get any easier that this. I guess getting the egg to temp just takes a little practice.

While I was watching your three videos I watched a couple more. So I have pretty much decided, it does't matter what you do! The very next video didn't trim, fat side UP, different internal temp, wood chucks, v-rack, etc.

I hope to get a large enough brisket so it will take a long time to cook. I dont have much time this weekend, but if I can put it on the night before and get the temp regulated so it will be ready the next morning or by noon, we will be in good shape.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Yea, I think the next time I do one I probably won't trim as much as I did on the video but there is a reason that I do fat side down instead of up.

I have found that having the fat side down, I give the brisket a bit more protection from the heat. I have also found that the fat from having it on top during the cook does not render through the meat, therefore having the fat side up offers me no value at all.

Also since my video, I use nothing but DRY wood CHUNKS and not chips. I am absolutely hooked on wild black cherry and apple wood chunks. Soaking them doesn't do anything.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you get a whole brisket with the point intact and make burnt ends. In my opinion, burnt ends are the absolute most delicious morsels of BBQ I have ever eaten. They are so good that I actually buy just the point from a local butcher here just to make burnt ends.

Let us know how you do. Pics would be nice also. Good luck!
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    I liked your videos. I've done three briskets but I have never had the patience to cook the point long enough. next time i will try it.