Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cut-up the ribs before smoking???

Options
Patrick in Minnesota
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This topic came up before, a number of months ago, but I thought I'd raise it again, to see if anyone new had any input. I like my barbecue to be a bit "crusty" on the outside, but the ribs I've cooked on my BGE have always been very moist, even on the exterior. I attribute this to the ceramic construction of the egg. I'm wondering if I'd have better luck by cutting the ribs into smaller pieces before cooking them on the egg...any feedback on this? I'll try it this weekend, and let you know what happens....as others have said before, "Even if it's a mistake, it still tastes good!"

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    Are you cooking the ribs direct or using the indirect method? What dome temp are you using? What is the length of time for the cook? Are you using a rub? Give us more details and a solution will be soon forth coming

• Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    JJ, I use a rub, cook indirect(using a couple square ceramic tiles), use a dome temp of about 200-230; Last time I made them, I cooked them for 5-6 hours. They were VERY tender and delicious...it's just that they didn't have a crusty exterior...the rub coating was sort of paste-like and gooey. Also, I cook on a MEDIUM size BGE, if that makes any difference.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    05_02_0017_48_01.jpg
    <p />Patrick in Minnesota, you might try cooking the last 45 minutes to 1 hour over direct heat... turning occassionally. When I do pork ribs I remove the bottom firebricks (using gloves) and let the heat hit the ribs.[p]In the picture you'll see all 4 firebricks standing on edge - the picture is from the "Memphis Style" link on my site. Produces a nice outside finish. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • JJ
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    The rub is no problem. Using the indirect method will not produce the crusty surface you a re looking for. Do them using the direct method dome temp about 220-250*turning every 45 min for 3.5 to 4 hrs. You can check for doneness by eith penetrating with a fork to see if it slides out easy or by liftinjg the slab with tongs and see if the bend easily. Cutting them into individual pieces is not necessary. Check the recipe section under ribs direct method.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota, I kinda agree with JJ, and I really hate to do that cause it kinda gives him that superior look. :-) You might try direct and also apply Cats "no top's" technique as it will give you a drier interior cook. Nice thing about ribs..some like em moist, some a bit drier and substitute side sauces. The more salt that is applied in the rub or direct with ground fresh pepper will also tend to dry out the meat and add a crust. Only my opinion, and I been wrong before..just try and prove it tho..heeeeee. ooops!! C~W
    [p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    I sure hate to disagree with the big dogs, but I cook them indirect between 325 & 350 with a rub that contains a lot of brown or maple sugar and always get a nice crust. JCA

• JJ
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Would I expect anything different from my sister in the north. Cold weather does funny things to people. I keep telling her to move South to protect herself. Hehe

• JJ
    Options
    JJ,
    Mom always worried about her staying in the frozen tundra. hehe

• JJ
    Options
    JJ,
    Mom always worried about her staying in the frozen tundra. hehe

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046