Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE a Dynamo!

Options
Desert Oasis Woman
Desert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a small in Salado -- THANKS to Mickey and GREAT BIG THANKS to Russ at Keith's Ace Hardware!!

This little dynamo ROCKS!!
0 to 600 way too fast last night...Ku had to really knock it back to do brats at 400!

No longer a virgin ;)

I'm baking 2 Russets now with new aluminum nails (another 1st) at 400. Taters on 10 minutes after lighting using used RO lump and denatured alcohol -- clean burn ;)

2 Nice Porterhouses to come using small CI/Spider on the Large BGE later

Ku bringing home my new iPad 2!

Have a great evening everyone ;)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No pictures / No happen :lol:
    We want to see its new home....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    DOW, congrats on getting the small, they rock! You will find it cooks very different than the large. Where the large is content to lumber along at any temp set, the little guys just want to go.
    Also experiment with the amount of lump used for cooking, you can use less and still get a good high temp cook.

Here is to many great cooks on the little guy.

IPad2...now I am jealous! :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Aluminum nails,do tell??? :huh: Congrats on the new toy! :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm fond of all my eggs, but my small is my fav as it is the real work horse and does what I ask it to do temp wise! It puzzles me when I read posts about this or that problem with a small, so maybe I'm lucky, but I'll NEVER be without a small BGE in this life time!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    Glad to hear that the small is working for you. That will be my next egg. My dealer told me to get a mediun because of the grid area. I told him if I wanted to take it to a Fest then the small would be a lot easier to move and I have instructions to get camera in one hand and a spatula in the other. That is all I can handle.
    Hope your dinner is great tonite.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    We love our small. Use it all the time. LGE/SBGE combo is working for me.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Nice addition! I want one badly but it's just not in the budget yet. Maybe next year.

See you in about a week!

Bruce
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    SWOkla-Jerry wrote:
    We love our small. Use it all the time. LGE/SBGE combo is working for me.

Same here. Having two gives you many options.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Joan,
    First cook fresh lump, tried to keep large pieces to a minimum, filled 2" below firebox top.
    Second cook
    Stirred rem-ns and added used from Medium, filled about 3" from top of firebox. After taking off, moved about half of one side onto the other for semi-indirect effect. Placed a couple of layers of HDAF under nakie naiked taters.
    Later, put shrooms and butter in small CI vessel over cooked down bed of lump.
    Taters still got a bit too brown on the very bottom, but think that's 'cause the Little Dynamo wanted to work it's way up in temp! Darned near shut down to keep from 500, where it wanted to ride :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    And to think my local dealer said "BGE said not to bother carrying the Small - NO one Ever buys that size!"
    The also have the same 1 Mini on the showroom floor they've had for 5 years!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :)

Bro coming? Drag him there if you have to!!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Love my small, it does whatever I need including smoking an 8# pork butt for 12+ hours.

I am also one of those fans of the large/small combo.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Kari you rock......Felicidades to you two