Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal size for a long burn?

Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my 1st egg. Experimented last night with temperature control;however, I had a problem. :blush: I poured in my charcoal and lit one side. Got the temperature where I wanted it - b/w 225 and 275, 225 -250 is my preferred range, but after about 5 hours the charcoal went out - leaving plenty of unburned charcoal. I presume that as the charcoal burned off the fire did not spread well to the next coals. So my question is, what size pieces work best for long burns (approximately 10 hours) large and medium/ medium small / small any help appreciated.

Comments

• Big chunks are good but all sizes will work.

Don't light your fire on one side- light it in 3 equidistant spots . I've never heard of a fire in an egg going out if there was still lump to burn.

You should fill it up at least to the top of the firebox. When you're done cooking, shut the vents and you can use the unburnt lump again tomorrow.
  • mtbbq
    mtbbq Posts: 14
    Good description of how to make a long term fire at nakedwhiz.com, Elder Ward's pulled pork decscription.

Jack
    Polson, MT
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new egg.

You probably experienced a vertical burn. It happens! Load your lump and light in several places. If I am doing a lower temperature burn I light in 3 places if I am doing a high temperature cook I light in 4 to 5 places.

3, 6 & 9 o'clock
    3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock and center

The size of the lump really hasn't played much in how long the lump will burn. Due to the shape of the Cowboy Lump the burns will be a bit shorter due to the fact there is less lump in the same space as there would be with something like BGE (Royal Oak) lump.

GG
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Thanks for your comments. All advice taken. I inspected the Egg at lunch ... looks like I had some small pieces that may have clogged the air holes and helped choke off my air to the section that was last burning. I will use the naked whiz info and your multiple ignition point next test run. Thanks agian. And if anyone has additional advice, I am always open.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    To open up those holes, you might to make or buy a wiggle rod.It is inserted through the bottom vent and poked up through the holes in the grate to clear them.

See http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
    for info
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I used to be pretty particular and put the biggest pieces at the bottom and then get smaller as I moved up... The hypothesis here is that you keep airflow going which should keep the fire going. Now I generally just get the biggest pieces at the bottom then whatever as I go up. Generally I top off with a little bit of used lump which will lite easier. Hope this was useful, at least a little.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I personally either scoop my lump from a tub or dump it right out of the bag...never sort or arrange..obviously stirring down the ash from any previous cook first...I use 1 yes one starter cube..in the center of the lump..and in 10 years never had a fire go out...don't over think fire..it only requires a few elements to exist..