Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting mini egg

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for ideas on how to transport the mini egg on vacations. Please share for the eggsperts.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    jim,
    I'm taking my Mini on a fishing trip to Easten Maine in June.We'll be there 6-7 days and I am really looking forward to it . . . 7,000 and 8,000 acre lakes with no other boats on them and 2, 3 and 4 pound small mouth bass that just don't stop biting.
    Funny you should ask that question. I have't really paid much attention to previous post dealing with the same question. My gut tells me it shouldn't be too difficult.
    I was just going to wrap the firebox in an old towel and the ring the same way. I'm going to pick up one of the new cast iron grates for Miss Mini in a week or so from my dealer. A 22 pound bag of Wicked Good will also make the trip.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    jim,
    I moved my large,medium and mini in the back of my small pick up from AZ to Ca. (about 800 miles) I kept the mini sitting in a cardboard box that was wedged in between other things and she was fine. [p]That being said I would probably use some bubble wrap or newspaper for the firering and and firebox but still keep them in the egg and just be sure she is secure and that nothing around can fall or slide to hit her. Should not be too hard.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    jim, I actually had a (green) bag made at a local boat canvas shop for my mini, but the largest L.L. Bean boat tote type bags work really well also. Julie

[ul][li]L.L. Bean tote bag[/ul]
  • tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    Options
    jim,
    how about a milk crate?[p]Check out WessB's sight on how he travels with the small.[p]Jorge

• randomegger
    Options
    jim,[p]I bought a some kind of cleaning bucket from Home Depot - it was yellow and had a larger diameter than the standard buckets.
    The Mini gets stuck on the lip at the hinge, but seems well supported. This leaves a space on the bottom to leave the ceramic feet and some small odds and ends. We just strapped it the bucket in with all the other stuff in the back...[p]Am still looking for something a little larger but this seems to work well enough for me.[p]RE

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    randomegger,
    How abut putting the mini in a plastic bag, then in a slightly larger box, close the bag up and spray insulating foam between the inside of the box and the plastic bag. That is kind of how my mini was shipped from Atlanta to AZ. when I purchased it. I don't think they used a bag but there was plastic wrap of some kind so that the foam would not stick to the egg.[p]Good Luck and if you try this remember the foam swells so you don't want to get the egg locked in the box.[p]New Bob

• Love Handles
    Options
    jim,
    Don't make it to complicated. I carry a small around with me all the time in my motorhome. I put a plastic bag over it ( to keep any loose lump from getting out ) and put it on its side in one of my side compartments. I stuff towels around it so it won't move and thats that. Never has failed yet. Just make sure you have some other stuff around it so it can move. A mini should be a piece of cake. See-Yaa