Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Source for wood in Philly Area??

JoeFishJoeFish Posts: 2
edited 10:50PM in EGG Table Forum
Hi,
I have a Large BGE bought last year and I want to upgrade it's current nest to a table. I see lots of info on plans and have some ideas on building a good table (maybe tile top).
I am having the worst time finding the lumber to purchase.
No one has cypres that I can find. I found some that carry oak or cedar, but we're looking at $250+ just for the wood!!
Anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here? Anyplace else I can try?
·

Comments

• ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    Joe,

Try 84 Lumber in Douglassville, PA

610 326 8880

Ask for Luke, he's the manager....and thinks he may be able to get cypress. I dont think you'll find it to be much cheaper than the other options you mentioned though.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,471
    Joe, look for hardwood lumber dealers. I know that cypress (one of the more popular egg table woods) is not a hardwood, but you will often find it at hardwood dealers. This one in Marcus Hook PA, for example...

http://www.alanmcilvain.com/lumber_detail.php?sp_size=Cypress

In my area (central CT), there are two hardwood dealers who carry cypress. Price here is $3.40/ board foot for 4/4 (1" thick before finishing) and $4.40 for 8/4. Teak, otoh, is $30 for 4/4!!! A board foot = 1"x12"x12".

Good luck!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·