Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my latest pizza

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Caputo 00 flour crust, 65% hydration, long cold ferment & then frozen for a couple weeks, defrosted at room temp then stretched onto parchment; topped w/tomato puree, mini pepperonis, fresh mozz, parmesan, capers, basil, & red pepper flakes. Cooked at 650 on a stone atop firebricks, atop the plate setter. Delicious, but the bottom could have been a bit more charred & the top less so.
p32719621.jpg

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    That crust looks great, so does the rest.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Looks great Celeste!! Let your stone heat up longer. I've found with the Caputo you need high temps to get it to Brown.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Really looks good.
    I think the top is perfect.
    It will take longer for your pizza stone to heat up sitting on the fire bricks. Use a spacer with better air flow or let your Egg heat up longer for a hotter piza stone.
    If you want more char on the bottom try pizza stone directly on the platesetter or put a small coking grid between the two. The heat from your platesetter will heat your pizza stone better the closer together they are.
    At 650 what was you cooking time?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Don't quit making pizza now, you are doing so well!

That one looks great to me.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Woops, I miss read I thought you wrote "last" pizza :huh:\ :blush:
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Cooking time at 650 was around 5 minutes. I've tried the stone directly atop the plate setter, and I got virtually NO top/edge crust browning. So I thought that jacking it up into the dome might help out...but I need to go a bit lower than firebrick. Still not totally happy with the crust texture, but all the fun's in the trying, isn't it?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I agree about getting the pizza up in the dome.
    I just think the fire bricks are stopping your stone from getting as hot as you would like esp if they are the full thickness.
    My last pizzas I used a cheap wok ring to raise my pizza stone.($3) worked well and gave good air flow under the pizza stone. Yes, the pizzas are starting to get fun now but I still need lots of work on forming the dough. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Hey--a wok ring. Good idea...will try that, too. I'm slowly getting better at shaping, using the stretch-over-the-knuckles technique. Wish I could get the pizza onto the stone w/o parchment, but I think it would require me to stretch & top the pizzas outside next to the Egg, far away from the kitchen.
  • wattwizz
    wattwizz Posts: 33
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different methods. Plate setter legs down with stone on top. Stone raised just above plate setter. Stone high in dome with plate setter legs down. What works best for me is plate setter legs up with stone on grid. Heat for 45 min to an hour at 550 to 600*. Gives me a nice crispy crust both top and bottom.

G
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Pizza looks great...

so does your site. :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com