Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dhuff's chicken adobo- Anybody know where the reci

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Searched but didn't find it. I know i've seen it somewhere!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Does this help?

Chicken, Thighs, Adobo, Dhuffjr

Whew what a great time! Cooking was way fun. Even better I was able to walk afterwards. Got to talk to lot of nice folks, when you've got food on the table they come LOL.First pick one thing that I sure wished I'd gotten to taste. I love dates and this looked so good. I'm doing this one ASAP (hint Tonia what is the recipe???).

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 The Adobo chicken is pretty simple. I cooked 4lbs of boneless skinless thighs (I like the whole thigh better but the skin and bones get in the way so I went the boneless route for the fest) with a cup each of vinegar, water, and soysauce. Toss in a couple bayleaves, a few cloves of garlic (I used 2-3 tablespoons from a jar), 2 onions sliced, a bit more than a cup of brown sugar, and some pepper. That is traditional. To Egg it up a notch I added 2 tsp of Tsunami Spin. Not much but it does add some subtle flavors. Cooked in a enameled cast iron pot covered for 1 hour and uncovered for another 1-2 hours. Stir and smash up the chicken pieces and it just falls apart towards the end of the cook. You can adjust the chicken amount down and just scale back on the other ingredients as well, 1/2 cup of the liquids, one onion etc.
    2 I forgot the temps! The pot I got has a handle on the lid that is supposed to be oven safe to 350. I cook the adobo at 350-450 and the lid has survived. In the times I've cooked the temp varies. Anywhere in that range works. Covered for 30 minutes to an hour to build up the heat faster and then uncovered for 1-2 hours to reduce the liquid and let it get some of that wood flavor. I don't use any smoking wood just the natural flavor from the lump. The chicken when you uncover it tends to be all stuck together in a mass. Break it up and stir it around every 20 minutes or so till the chicken is falling apart.
    3 It is Jasmine rice. It is available in grocery stores up here and at Sams, if you can't find it there an asian food store would have it. I cook six cups in a rice cooker and you let it sit in the fridge overnight uncovered to dry out, you can skip the overnight part in a pinch but it is the way I was told to make it. When preparing it add about a 1/4 cup of water to moisten it back up a tad and salt it to taste, I like it a bit salty but start with 1 tablespoon of salt (I use Kosher salt or sea salt) then put 3 tablespoons of oil in the wok and when it heats up add some garlic (I go the Emeril route and toss in 30-40 cloves....well okay heaping spoonfuls) and just kinda heat it up a bit but don't brown it, then you dump in the rice and stir it up mixing in the garlic with the rice.
    4 You can make Adobo pork or beef. Everyone thought it was beef or pork the way it looked. Next year I might switch the meat just to confuse folks!
    5 I'll ask my brother in law what cuts he uses for those. I think a BB would be just fine for the pork option.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, Dhuffjr

I cooked adobo chicken with Philipino fried rice.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Thanks Richard!!
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That sounds good, but after living in Mexico, I was surprised by the recipe.

I googled adobo and found that it has a much broader definition than the version I saw in Mexico.

I have to give this a try.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    The Adobo Chicken my mom made only had a few ingredients. Throw it into a crockpot for a few hours and skim off the grease before serving over rice.

Chicken Thighs
    Soy Sauce
    White Vinegar
    Garlic
    Bay leaves

I don't remember quantities, I'd just pour it in till it looks right. There may have been a Tbs of sugar but I can't remember for sure.

BTW: this is Filipino Adobo, which is very different from Mexican Adobo.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've been using low sodium soy and 1-2 tbs of tsunami spin lately. My brother in law is Philipino and this is his recipe with the Tsunami spin addition. His kids like mine better :woohoo: