Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possessed by a pumpkin

davehemp
davehemp Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, after a bit more than a week's procrastination, I put on my new Rutland gasket w/Permatex Copper(which, to me looks pumkin-colored - getting the idea?) Even with RPP's excellent instructions, I managed to put a little too much...er, a fair bit too much...em, actually a whole hell of a lot too much Permatex on.
I am way too embarrassed to post a pic, but just know that my Egg looks like a pumkin spirit is tryng to get out from inside...pretty sloppy...because I couldn't close the lid for fear of it sticking, I sprayed saran wrap with Pam and covered the gasket with that, then closed the lid...other than asthetics, will the extra Perm. cause a problem, and is the saran wrap cover workable? :blush:

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you should be able to trim it off.
    and re: ", and is the saran wrap cover workable?": the plastic wrap isn't still on it, is it?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • davehemp
    Yes, it is......I'm scared to ask....?
  • davehemp
    I just ran out there lke my butt was no fire...it's not sticking - I figured I'd need to leave it on til tomorrow - no?
  • davehemp
    sorry for the multiple posts...Stike, there are spots of sealant on top of the gasket also, like where the 2 ends meet, and where I was just getting tired and more sloppy as I went...so I figured it had to stay covered against the dome...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dave,

That is exactly why I don't have gaskets.I would do the same thing if I were to try. There are people in this world that should not do adhesives, caulking, paint, epoxy, drywall mud or any other semifluid. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• davehemp
    Thank you Steven - Iknow I'm not the only fella that is best off avoiding these things involving manual dexterity - at least I know better than to approach chainsaws and the like :silly: , but there's little I won't do for my Egg - albeit badly... :whistle:
    I was having problems with a bad seal without the gasket - burning my lump down after a cook....
  • stike
    call me crazy, but i'm thinking that when it is cured, you'll then remove the plastic wrap
  • davehemp
    24 hours to cure I think - which means leave the wrap on til then? I hope the lack of air around the gasket because of the wrap and oil won't affect the cure...did you think I had done this a day ago? It's been about 2 hours...I sensed worry that I still had the wrap on....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    rip away the plastic wrap, stick a couple pencils or chopsticks or something else between the base and the dome to keep it slightly open and let the silicone cure. You'll be fine. You can even put the cover over it if you have one. As long as some air can circulate the adhesive will cure.

But watch out for the storms they're calling for to roll through tonight in Georgia.
  • davehemp
    Thanks, Fidel...I wanted to leave the lid up overnight, but was worried about the storms about to hit - the pencil/chopsticks idea will work; the lid won't be open wide enough to give the wind too much power...
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Hey Dave,
    I live over in Jackson. How bout getting together to cook.
  • davehemp
    Hi Big'un, that's funny you posted, because a couple months ago I was looking at your website and it caught my attention that the address was listed as Hampton, Ga....Being only 15 minutes away, I was thinking I could drive over and buy some sauces and not only meet a fellow egger, but save shipping costs when that would seem silly to spend... If you're in Jackson, of course that's more like 45 minutes, I think... I actually have a great aunt in Jackson who just turned 90 yesterday. I haven't had it in many years, but I used to love the BBQ sauce at Fresh Air Barbecue, there outside of Jackson...Vinegar sauce... I may be making a trip to south ga. in a few weeks and maybe I can come by on my return home. Anytime you are around here, let me know - would be great to meet you and get some of your sauce to try... :)
  • stike
    the plastic wrap idea was meant to allow the upper dome to contact the sealant and level out any gaps, so that it could conform to the underside of the upper rim.

i don't think it causes a problem with curing
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    probably not, but once the lid is shut, those gaps should be evened out.

I misunderstood his post that he wanted to remove the plastic but was afraid of the dome sticking to the extra adhesive that was seeping through the weave of the gasket.

I'm guilty of over thinking the situation.
  • stike
    you aren't alone :laugh:
  • davehemp
    I appreciate yall's support yesterday - I was probably not at my most coherent after all the activity... :blink: It's not so bad looking today - that special shade of pumpkin has darkened up and it's not quite so obvious the installer :blush: went mad with Permatex...
    now, of course, with the thicker gasket changing the gap at the back making a kind of lever action, the front of my dome won't come down tight enough to close a gap big enough for a small stack of dollar bills, and it's drawn back about 1/8 of an inch. I already read a gigabit :silly: of posts about dome adjustment, so nobody stress about helping on this #&#%@ issue...after the last experience, I'm not going there...I had the wrench out and a voice inside said, "Dave, Put. It. Back."
    I'm going to cook a few times and see what happens...