Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First weekend with the Egg

Eggucated
Eggucated Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after decades of debate and I finally purchased my first BGE last Thursday. After reading and researching this forum for a couple of weeks I decided to go with the crowd (you know egg pressure and all) and purchase the large. I simply have to say THANK YOU!!! It isn't all hype, this thing is Eggmazing! Now I'm crawling all over the internet for recipes, accessories, and all kinds of things I don't really need but have to have nevertheless. I thought I was buying a grill/smoker, what I have is an addiction!

Here's the first meal on my egg, T-Bone, Ny Strip, and Bone in Ribeye (for me) all searing at 800 degrees within 15 minutes of starting the egg my very first time! Thank you to everyone here for the amazing information and personal experience.

DSC01053.jpg

After the 20 minute rest period, back on the egg with some garlic cheesy potatos on the Platesetter and a couple of Italian sausages for my boys.

DSC01054.jpg

After such amazing success on my first attempt, I had to see for myself is Spatchcock chicken is as great as everyone claims. Well, I think it was actually better than the steaks! I have never uttered those words in my life.. phht Chicken better than STEAK, well... it really was amazing!

DSC01056.jpg

Thank you again to everyone here, without reading all your posts and seeing your amazing pictures, my first weekend on the Egg wouldn't have been this amazing! I'm looking forward to posting some of my experiences as well as more questions as I start down the road of being an Egghead!

Just here to get eggucated!
Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Congrats and some great cooks. You are "eggdidcted". Now if you think spatchcocked chicken is good, then try butt up, kamasutra chicken. It kicks butt out of spacthed chicken. ;)

5586931863_22a69f4ef7.jpg

Here is to continued good meals from the egg!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Welcome to our world. Try to get to a fest this summer and meet some eggheads and taste an abundance of foods you never even thought of egging.

Good luck to you and Happy Egging.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Welcome to the addiction. Now you will hafta go to an Eggfest somewhere in your area. You will really get educated quick.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Great cooks. Eggtacular actually. Nice that you did 800 on your first ride on the midway. It really is that easy. Even a Carny can do it. :lol:
  • Eggucated
    Sorry
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Eggucated
    Wow, I'm putting that towords the top of my list! Looks amazing, thank you!

Mike
  • Eggucated
    Thanks Faith. I think I'm going to shoot for the Georgia Mountains fest but definatley the Eggtober fest! I guess it's good to live in North georgia, we moved here from Florida a few years ago and find a new reason every day to love it here more and more.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Joan,

Looks like you got some great skin on that one. Did you happen to check the thigh temp versus the breast?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggucated
    I honestly believe the saying your worst on the egg is better than your best on any other grill.

One question though, do you guys start the egg with the dome up, or dome closed? Since I'm still learning it seems like I open the dome every two minutes to see if the charcoal is burning. I think I need to invest in a torch..
  • Wow, are you lucky to live near a bunch of great eggheads. The north GA eggfest should be a great first fest for you. I would personally hang out by Egret's table and taste some of the best food ever.

Eggtoberfest is awesome. I have been to the last three, and it is a great event, with a huge amount of eggs cooking at once.

As for lighting the egg, I use a starter cube, torn in quarters. I use 2 quarters for the large egg, and 1 for the small. I light it and leave the lid open until I see red coals. Depending on what temp I am shooting for, I close it earlier for a low temp cook, and alow it to get rip roaring flaming for a high temperature cook. Then I close the lid and leave the daisy wheel off. When the temp gets to within 50 degrees of the target temp, I put daisy wheel on and start clamping down the vents. Works like a charm.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Oh, you are so hooked :laugh:
    Welcome and congrats
    So much info here, you will have a blast.
    Buckle in, this is a wild ride :)

Shane
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Welcome to the cult...er...a...forum/eggdom. :whistle:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    What a great maiden voyage for you and your Egg! Congrats on it all.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Nice looking cooks! How did the spuds turn out?
    Good egging, Randy
  • Eggucated
    The spuds were actually really good. A little garlic (ok a lot), purple onion, potato's, montery jack cheese, and a sprinkle of Everglade's seasoning.

The most important thing I learned is have everything ready once you start cooking. I was trying to get sides ready and cook the steaks, too much too quick. Now I appreciate the speed of the egg, I guess I was too used to my old gasser taking forever to heat up!
  • Eggucated
    I appreciate all the kind words; makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy. Well ok, I definitely feel welcomed! :)

Thank you!

Mike
  • TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    Looks good, my wife was fussing cause I wouldn't let her take her steak becuase I was still photographing last night on my first cook. I did ribeyes, they were just too thin. I watched the DVD, 650 deg, 2 minutes, flip 2 more minutes, flip and shut off vents, 2 minutes and serve.

She just doesn't get it.

I want to do the chicken next, need to find the step by step instructions for a rookie. I need it spelled out for me

Indirect heat, dome temp, meat temp, which side down, which side up, approx. cooking time, etc...
  • fdxegger
    fdxegger Posts: 69
    It's possible to cook everything in the freezer in one weekend and it all tastes great. Then the issue is who will eat it all. The LOML has decreed that I can only cook what we can eat during the following week. This was after I filled the freezer.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    We are all so glad you are happy with your purchase. They an't cheap but if you like outside cook'en nothing else comes close. That bird looks outstanding! :woohoo:
  • Eggucated
    Search YouTube for Spatchcocked chicken. There are several good step by step videos on exactly what to do. The Nakedwhiz site is also great, lots of tips, charts and tricks. Nice to know I'm not the only one driving my wife crazy!
  • Eggucated
    :). Made a meatloaf tonight on the BGE. During the spring and summer we'll cook out probably 4-5 nights a week. Now that I have the Egg that will probably increase.
  • Eggucated
    :). Made a meatloaf tonight on the BGE. During the spring and summer we'll cook out probably 4-5 nights a week. Now that I have the Egg that will probably increase.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    You found the right spot! Food looks great and I am certain there will be more to come.

Welcome!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com