Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country ribs + sous vide + Egg

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did 2 "country ribs" sous vide for 54 hours, and then finished in the Egg at for 45 min. I tried this to see if I could make a small amount of PP. Whenever I have tried the "country rib" pieces of butt, they have turned dry before reaching pullable stage.

Here is a shot of the 2 "ribs" after coming from the 135 F water bath:

IMG_0867b.jpg

And here they are on a plate. I had to cut them in half to fit in the bag, and one fell apart coming out of the bag.

IMG_0868b.jpg

The measuring cup holds the juices that rendered out. I saved it for stock. Enough collegen had turned to gelatin that the liquid solidified after a short time in the fridge.

I had put a bit of Dizzy Dust on the meat before placing in the bags. I added some brown sugar, Panko dust and paprika to more DD, in an attempt at forming a fast bark.

After 45 min with a dome of 350, the meat was getting pretty brown, although not all of the "breading" had darkened. It was very difficult to turn the meat, because the pieces were falling into smaller bits.

IMG_0869b.jpg

The biggest down side was that much of the fat remained. I was unable to remove enough and the final result was a bit greasier than I liked. The meat was easily shreded with forks.

IMG_0870b.jpg

The shredded meat retained some of the "succulent" or "plump" texture that sous vide gives. The biggest downside was that the quick bark was very inferior to that which forms after 14 - 20 hours. I will make another attempt by chilling the meat after emptying the pouch, and make the "breading" more of a sauce, and hope to get a better bark with something like 1.5 hours in the Egg.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great post. I have made a few sous vide cooks as well.
    Flank steak was very good as were soft cooked eggs.
    Did a thick ribeye and had similar results to your pork.
    The fat was nasty but the meat was great.
    I need to play more. Almost put in a rack of BB ribs this weekend but our plans changed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gdenby
    Options
    2 things that worked well finished with a pan sear were chuck roast and short ribs. I expect those will be very good when I can get some on the Egg.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I have finished mine on egg as well.
    I did a couple pieces of salmon that I finished with a butane torch with good results. So many foods to try and so little free time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Thanks for at least trying it and sharing the results. I learn more from my "close but no cigar" cooks than I do absolute successes, don't you?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • gdenby
    Options
    The worst cooks are the absolute successes that one stumbles into. Can go nuts trying to figure out just what went right.

With the "close but ..." it often just takes tweaking a few things to get close to the bull's eye most every time.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Hey Darian

Gotta think that is one of the best things about this forum, you don't have to try everything yourself to find the great cooking ideas and methods, so many passionate cooks on here that we will eventually cover everything between us.

Doug
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I agree Doug. This forum has some talent and most are so great about sharing. It's so great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I love beef short ribs but had trouble getting them tender AND juicy...until I tried 48 hrs "in the bag" at 140° followed by 30-45 min in the Egg at 350°-400°. Works great for tri-tip and flank steak too, though you need only half and hour to one hour "in the bag". (Tri-tip can go quite a bit longer). Though I'd try a long (72 hr) Sous Vide at 150° to render the fat seams in rib trimmings but, from your experience, it doesn't sound as effective at rendering excess fat. I may try it anyway.