Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Assembly - Bands won't sit like video

sd_newb
sd_newb Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New Large Egg in a nest

The instructions read to seat the lower band 'as low as it will go all the way around' which i have. They then read '...bands will be properly spaced by the hinge assembly at the rear, ...you should move the upper band as needed to make the space between the bands equal to the rear on the sides and front also.'

On my egg the upper band at the hinge sits very low on the lid. The lower edge of the band just barely covers the gap between the top and bottom. Seems like it should be another 1/2" or more higher at the hinge.

The threads I've seen in the forums seem to unanimously ignore the instructions in the manual and recommend pushing the bottom one down as far as possible and prying the top one up as far as possible.

I want to get it right before torquing down the bolts until they bend.

Here is what it looks like:
photo-3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Suggestions?

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Not sure what you should do. Have you tried $1 bill test with the bands the way they are?
  • sd_newb
    No. i didn't tighten up the bands yet so didn't do the dollar bill test. From what I've seen on the videos once i get them properly tight the bolts will bend - which seems like will make any further adjustments difficult.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    That's exactly how mine ended up on all three of my eggs. I tightened everything down, and the simple "dollar bill" test indicated equal pressure all the way around the dome. I've left them that way, since I was more concerned with getting a uniform fit against the gasket, than with how far up against the rim the upper band sits.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Sort of looks like mine. Tried everything to adjust but no luck so I assume it's normal. Once tightened, open (be careful it does not pop off the first time) and check to make sure the ban is completely on the dome (i.e. not hanging below). I had to adjust mine the second time.

That's about the only test I've done and it's been good for a year.

A tip: Always remove the ceramic cap before opening, they do pop off, as with the daisy wheel.

20100902_048.jpg

(right click on image and open in new tab for full picture)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    sd_newb, I don't put them together everyday but, I have two large eggs and the bands are down all the way at the bottom and up all the way at the top on both.

I'm guessing your dome is sitting down on the base and no gap between the two. Your top band loose enough to move and adjust.

If that is how it's got to be I wonder if you should divide the difference because your band could stand to be a little higher on the dome. Maybe raise the whole thing up and spread them out evenly.

Maybe some others will chime in soon who put them together on a regular basis. :unsure:
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    EggNorth wrote:
    A tip: Always remove the ceramic cap before opening, they do pop off, as with the daisy wheel.

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, but the ceramic cap and dfmt shouldnt pop off when opening the Egg.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    It shouldn't, but mine did. The Duel Function Metal Top (DFMT) came off and broke when I opened the lid (about 6 month after I bought the Egg) ... Fixed it with JB-Weld and it never came off again, probably because I don't care as long as I have JB-Weld

I now have the habit of taking the ceramic top off before opening, to be safe. I have a stone patio that takes no prisoners.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • sd_newb
    2Fategghead, Your suggestion of splitting the difference or not seems to be the crux of the issue.

After reading the replies so far and reading others have lived with it I went ahead and snugged down the bands-but not tight to things bending yet. It looks like if I leave the bottom band down as recommended my top band will be uneven front/back. About 1/4 inch of the green lip showing on the front and about 1/4 inch of the upper band below the green (hanging down over the gasket seam) in the back.

With this configuration I did the dollar bill test and it seems to be ok-but I suspect that test doesn't really work until the bands are superman tight-gravity just keeps the seal.

If I do split the difference that seems like a lot of weight on the bottom band when the lid is up.

Shedfarm, does part of your upper band miss the lid entirely?

i'm still looking for the voice of experience and safety. Last thing I want is a hot lid dropping out.
  • 2Fategghead
    I have had both my eggs apart more than three times each. The one egg I changed the gasket three times. I am no stranger to this subject but, I would look to someone who does it for a living. Wish you well I've got to go out for a while. :) Tim

Yeah see if some others may chime in.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if they are still loose, can you pry them more apart with a screw driver off the hing assembly, i pry mine and tighten and kkep prying until snug whill tapping on the dome to get it to slide more. anyways if thats all you got, i would want more band on the dome than the base. it almost always slips on the dome if its going to slip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Your bands look OK to me. When I assembled mine, I just made sure they were even all the way around the circumference.

Then, I tightened them slightly - enough for me to "test drive" the hinge action - and it was fine.

Then I cranked on the bolts. As the instructions say, don't be afraid to crank until the bands bend.

BTW, the thing you DONT want to do is have the bolts too loose. Like using a standard socket instead of a deep socket. Best to use an open-end wrench and crank them down.

Ask me how I know why that is important, and I will tell you that my Large was 2 or 3 days old and I had to lift and move it into my table (the table was back-ordered at my dealer, but I wanted to cook immediately. So I set the thing up on the ground and cooked...... when the table came, I removed the "loose parts inside" - fire box, etc.... and lifted it.

It was about 2 inches off the ground when one of the bands popped off. Bonk! There's a better way to lift the BGE, see below....

Hairline cracks over half of the bottom shell. How sad and scary. She still cooks OK, though.

So looks like you are good to go, just remember to crank the bolts down tight, and double check the tightness after your first few cooks.

The Large is lift-able by one person (I work out and can lift, but it really isnt all that heavy) - the problem is how awkward it is. I suggest removing the fire box and the inside parts, and also remove the lid. You can leave the hinge assembly on the bottom of the shell. Do not use the hinge or bands as a handle. Put some gloves on, open the bottom draft door. Insert one hand into the bottom door, and grab the rim. Lift carefully.

Good luck, and post pictures of the stuff you make!!
  • EggNorth - and others:

The daisy wheel thingie does NOT fall off if you install it a certain way.

Also, the Naked Whiz has some great info on how the bands/hinge works.

Go here - and bookmark this page:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#whywhiz
  • sd_newb
    Hi guys,

Thank you for all the advice. These forums have a great reputation but to be on the receiving end of such a friendly community is something too rare on the interwebs...

Since no-one is telling me my egg is in dire danger and from the many responses of how 'mine is not perfect either' I decided to do what I would if I worked at the dealer assembling it. I decided that more band contact on the upper piece was more important than the lower band being all the way down.

I ended up with the lower band up about 1/3" in the back under the hinge while flush down in the front. The upper band barely lines up with the bottom of the upper piece (aka lid) in the back but in the front is about 1/3" above the lip. I tightened everything down and did the dollar test. Just one spot has less friction than the others - at about 10 o'clock (with the hinge as 12).

Going for my first burn and will see if it holds the smoke. Going to decide how far from the house and neighbors it needs to be to keep smoke out of the buildings.:) But i think we are going to be ok.

Pics of the lid as secured down.

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    tighten them again after a couple cooks, then again after another month, then give it 6 monthes and check them again, things will can stretch after a few cooks.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jkinzel
    jkinzel Posts: 21
    2Fategghead wrote:
    sd_newb, I don't put them together everyday but, I have two large eggs and the bands are down all the way at the bottom and up all the way at the top on both.

I'm guessing your dome is sitting down on the base and no gap between the two. Your top band loose enough to move and adjust.

If that is how it's got to be I wonder if you should divide the difference because your band could stand to be a little higher on the dome. Maybe raise the whole thing up and spread them out evenly.

Maybe some others will chime in soon who put them together on a regular basis. :unsure:

I put my Large Egg together this morning and ran into the same problem, I centered the bands on the seam of the base and dome so the bands have an equal grip on both the top and bottom. Then I tightened the bolts until they had a nice bend in them.
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey John, It sounds like your good to go. Like fishlessman said to sd_newb make sure you check your bands often. It could end in a bad way if you know what I mean. :(

John be sure to post your cooks and take some pic's. ;)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Nope... my upper band is even the entire way around, just at the lower edge of the ceramic on the dome. There's no part of the band that is not directly up against the ceramic.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    I assemble every BGE that leaves my store. I set the bottom band below the gasket with about a 1/8 of an inch of the green showing, making sure it is even all the way around. I then tighten it down until the bolt just starts to bend. I set the dome on and line it up with the hole for the thermometer centered up with the handle. I just tighten it enough that I can still move the band and dome. I make sure I have a even band all the way around and that my dome lines up with the Base with a 1/8 of inch showing above the gasket. slowly tighten and adjust the dome to meet the base until the bolt bends. I used to check mine with a dollar bill, but have not checked for the last couple years. I have a few customers check them before the bought and were very satisfied with the fit. You always want to re-tighten the bolts after using a couple times.
    Never lift the egg by the bands or you will find the BGE in a lot of pieces.
    As far as the Daisy wheel falling off always make sure the screw is in the front facing the handle and don't let the dome fly up, hold on to it, helps keep the band in shape also.
  • Just saw the first picture today and the plastic clips are still on so it's not letting the top band come up to the correct position. Now that the clips are off, loosen the top band enough to let you move the top band, but not so loose that it slips over the lip. I think you will have much better luck.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • That's how I did my bands on my large. I agree that the instructions don't work out like they say. I went back to my dealer and he recommended to just equally space them out the best I could. My lower band is down near the bottom on the egg and the upper band is just above the bottom of the lid. I did go back and forth on tightening the bands and readjusting the space until I had it about as good as I could get them before doing the final tightening. You know there's only so much play in moving the bands to begin with. Everything worked out well and I got a tight seal, but they do need to make some changes to the printed instructions. The main thing is to just make sure each band is very secure on the egg and you'll be fine! ;)
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    I have never had a problem with my dome slipping off (knock on wood), but I always wished that BGE would have engineered a groove that the bands would fit into and eliminate any chance of a terrible incident that would ruin a cookout event or someones dinner that they were looking forward to all day :( . Since they have been in business for so long and in my opion the LEADERS of the industry I would like to see them (basically us) stay on top. That being said I believe that I have the best ceramic grill on the market!