Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tri Tip

luis70458luis70458 Posts: 48
edited 3:24AM in EggHead Forum
I have a 3 lb beef Tri tip..

What is the best wat to do it???????
·

Comments

• FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I have been cooking tri tip for most of my life and this is the best method/recipe I have found. Great, authentic Santa Maria flavor.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    6 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.
    ·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I do mine direct at around 425/450 to an internal temp of 135.

TriTipCook3-1.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

SlicedTriTip.jpg
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,613
    I can offer a couple of suggestions to consider.

I try not to cook higher than 350-375° so that the pink interior extends further to the outside. If it's hotter, there will be a more well-done layer toward the outside.

I love to sliver a clove oof garlic, poke knife holes all over the top of the meat, and stuff garlic slivers in each one. Three lbs. is a big one! you may need two cloves. Then I rub it with olive oil and sprinkle on a rub...the oil helps keep it in place.

I cook it raised direct, turn it after 10-12 minutes. Use a Thermapen to check the interior temp in the thickest part of the meat. Take it out at 125-130° internal and let it sit under foil for 10 minutes so the juices flow back into the meat.
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Where are you finding Tri-Tip around here.
    ·