Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
MDR
MDR Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to plank salmon. I thought i would check with the experts to find temp,direct ,indirect & guest at time. Thanks in advance

Margie

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Here is a search with over 900 posts.

Search
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Margie, whenever you want to know how to cook something, type it in the search forum box, and you will have many posts to read through to find out the different ways to cook whatever it is, planked salmon has been done a gajillion times.

Here is what a search turned up:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=planked+salmon&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    On TRex's site he suggests pulling it at 137 degrees and I agree.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    All the above and a quick answer about planking too...Just because there may be some question, even after all the reading.
    The plank is the heat barrier...Thus, cook it direct, so to speak.
    I put my planks on the grid, atop the fire ring and it works great.
    Just be sure to soak them for at least an hour!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Not to mention the smokin' awesome recipe at Dizzy Pig.....for future reference. Not a plug, but that combination is killer!
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Options
    I use this recipe, but cook it on Cedar or Alder wood planks. Comes out great everytime. Family favorite.

Grilled Salmon
    submitted by Egret
    Salmon fillets (with skin on), 4 to 5 ounces per serving (have done with skin off)
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    Your favorite commercial or homemade dry BBQ rub, to taste

•Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, oil and garlic and stir to dissolve sugar. Pour into a zippered-top plastic bag and add salmon. Marinate in the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
    •After marinating, allow the salmon to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling, then pat dry with a paper towel.
    •Mix together the butter and maple syrup and brush over entire surface of the salmon. Sprinkle with a liberal amount of BBQ rub.
    •Set the EGG® up for direct (I place on Planks) cooking at 350°F, place the salmon on a fish grid and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Salmon is done when a knife inserted in the fillet slides in easily with no resistance and flesh is no longer opaque.
    •Remove salmon; using a clean brush, brush on any remaining maple syrup/butter mixture and wrap in foil for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.