Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any cook with grape seed oil on the BGE?

Paul58
Paul58 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has gotten into the healthy eating kick and has discovered grape seed oil. I have to admit, thus far I enjoy it, it's light and the flavor is excellent. The only draw back I've found is it seems to flare up when I use it on steaks on the BGE.

Normally, I brush my steaks on both sides with olive oil and them sprinkle with my farvorite seasoning, let them sit till the come to room temp and them sizzle them on the BGE at 600 to 650 degrees. Never experienced any flareups.

Well, grape seed oil is available in a variety of flavors that are very conducive to grilling, such as smoke, garlic, basil, and butter flavors. According to what I've read, the smoke temp of grape seed oil is supposed to be high than that of olive oil, yet every time I try to grill with grape seed oil in the same manner I do with olive oil, it just flares up so bad it burns the steaks.

Anyone here try grilling with grape seed oil? Have you experienced the same thing? Any tricks or tips you may have discovered that I can try to help reduce the flare ups?

My uneducated guess is the grape seed oil is lighter and thinner than the olive oil, so maybe the olive oil just clings to the meat better where the grape seed oil drips off onto the hot coals... Any thoughts?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Any oil is going to burn at 650* - so save your oil to use as a dressing after the meat is done. Most big name steakhouses do just this. They cook it then add a drizzle of infused oil or butter.

That said, most of your seasonings are also going to burn and potentially turn nasty or bitter at those temps. Everything but salt. So salt your steak, cook it, then hit it with a little oil and your seasonings as it rests before you serve.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    I use Grape Seed Oil a lot for frying and cooking as it has a nice high burn/smoke temp. I rarely oil my steaks for grilling though. I just buy the plain large Grape Seed Oil from Costco as it is less than 1/4 the price of specialty products.
  • Paul58
    Never thought of adding the oil post grilling, that may be the answer! I've got a couple New York Strips I'll be grilling later this afternoon, I may give that a try and see how it tastes. I normally use Weber's Chicago Steak Seasoning, which has the course salt in it along with other seasoning, maybe I'll just sprinkle the steaks with the seasoning and then lightly brush with the oil after I take them off the grill. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Paul58
    Well, drizzled the the steaks with Hickory Smoke infused grape seed oil after removing them from the grill, they tasted great, just a hint of hickory smoke flavor! Thanks for the suggestion, it worked great!
  • grapeseed oil is great to use in a frying pan or wok.