Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No smoke

Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought 2 eggs last weekend Lg. and Sm., promising my wife better results than the old Webber kettle. I'm not getting any smoke flavor out of my oak chunks at all. My next cook I will overload with oak just to see what will happen, does any body have any better ideas.

Comments

• Congrats on the two eggs.

May depend on what and how you are cooking.

If you are grilling, probably should turn the temp down a little to extend the time in the smoke.

If you are smoking, I would simply distribute the chunks throughout the lump to ensure continuous smoke.

It's a little different and may take a little getting used to, but you will be glad you made the change.
  • Bear 007
    Thanks Frank, I'll get it eventually, just got to keep the wife happy in the meantime.
  • opposite here - my traveling companion prefers less smoke :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Smokiness depends in part on the temperature of the cooking session. If you are at grilling temperatures, say a dome of 350+, there will be less smoke, and often, the session will be brief. For instance, some chicken drums I did for about 45 min. at 350 were not very smokey at all, but some turkey thighs I did for over an hour were sufficiently smoked that the broth I made with the leftovers was somewhat harsh due to the strong smoke residue.

Try some things that take longer, even a couple of fatties. The ground sausage really picks up the smoke during the hours they usually take.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Were you grilling or doing a low and slow?

Have you tried other wood chunks? I find that Oak isn't very smokey and use Apple, Cherry, Hickory, or Mesquite for more of a smokey flavor.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Nothing to add that hasn't been said, but congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family....every cook will teach you something, have a great time. I find I get better results if I light the egg with a beer close by......seems to make things a little less urgent. :P
  • Bear 007
    I think that's probably the best advice so far
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    When I first got mine I couldn't get enough smoke for my tastes. Like Frank from Houma said if smoking, distribute the wood through the charcoal. Put in some charcoal then a little wood, then more charcoal, then wood and more charcoal. The fire will burn down towards the bottom of the egg.