Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Settings?

Phil
Phil Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, here's the newest question I have. Last night, my first eggsperiment was fun and successful. I had a real hard time keeping the temperature controlled. Reminded me when I first learned to fly, controlling the airspeed! I noted two adjustments for the wheel on top. When do you open the larger setting and then how do you just the smaller wheel settings. If a recipe calls for opening the top a half inch, I assume they mean the entire top opening 1/2 inch. Anyway some clairification would be appreciated. Thanks to all, it is really a neat group of folks take the time and show pride in helping new-egger like me!

Comments

• Phil,
    I think what most people will tell you is that the larger opening is used when you are trying to get up to temperature quikly, the smaller openings are for controlling low temperatures (in the 200-250 range) for long smokes. The only time I open the larger wheel is when intially starting up & you need a lot of air flow, and when cooking at temperatures over 300. You will notice that the longer the fire is going, the more you will need to restrict air flow to maintain temperature because the entire egg will eventually reach temperature. Just keep playing with it & I am sure you will quikly learn how to stabilize the temp. Good luck

• Phil,
    One other thing, I would avoid following specific recipe settings for the wheel. There are too many variables that contribute to dome temperature (type and size of lump you are using, how clean {or not} you egg is, wind speed, bottom door draft...).

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Zippy,
    When lighting the egg or bringing it up to temp..its best to have NO top on the egg at all..until you get within 50°-75° of your desired cooking temp..HTH[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Phil,
    If you have the need to have the slide top open, you would want too have the daisy all the way open at the same time...as Zippy said, take recipe vent setting suggestions with a grain of salt as everyone sets things a little different but end up with the same results....here is a link to a diagram TimM had on his website of how to use a daisy wheel and avoid having to readjust from opening the dome....HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]Tim M`s daisy wheel[/ul]
  • WessB,
    You are indeed correct, and this is good advice!

• Phil
    WessB,[p]Thanks!
    I can't tell you how great everyone is on the Forum.[p]Phil

• Phil
    Zippy,
    Thanks. I guess its a practice thing. I did okay last night, I think one or two more times cooking, I will get a handle on it.[p]Phil