Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping BJ: Lighting fire with alcohol

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a post yesterday you said you used 91% alcohol. I vaguely remember that thread from a few years ago, but don't remember if you just pour or sprinkle it on the lump...or do what with it.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    I think that I have heard that some use the alcohol in place of oil on twisted paper towels.
  • Not to steal BJ's thunder, but I use it in about the same way your would use lighter fluid on briquettes: sprinkle it on and throw a match on it. In cold weather, the flame will spread nice and slow; when it gets warmer, though, it ignites way fast and you will have some tall flames quickly.

I like it and use it(also MAPP and Weber cubes), it gives you a pretty quick clean light of all your charcoal without the inconveniences of a flamethrower. (Yes, weedburners are great as well.)
  • Take a look at the youtube video below. Cut and paste the following URL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U

The gentleman in the video uses a syringe to get the alcohol down into the lump. I use a 97 cent clear plastic condiment bottle from Wallyworld to get the alcohol down into the lump. Make sure you get the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Stand back when you throw that match.

Works great!
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It depends on what I'm cooking/what temperature I'm going for, how I go about using the alcohol.

If I'm going for a hot flame (more or less just "grilling"), I use it pretty much like lighter fluid, and with a small hole punched in the foil top, I squirt it over the top of the coals, give it about 20-30 seconds to soak in, then toss in a lit match. Be careful, it'll flame up with some gusto!

If I want a more controlled light for a low and slow cook, I have an old injection syringe that I have a piece of plastic tubing attached to the tip. I stick the tubing into the bottle, suck out about an ounce/ounce and a half, and use the tubing to "inject" it into specific places around the coals, under the surface. After waiting a few seconds, I toss a lit match into the center.

The YouTube video that was previously linked to is a good place to start, but I wasn't willing to get that precise with it, to go the rubber stopper route.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    No thunder stolen ... I do the same thing for my hotter cooks. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • funk49
    funk49 Posts: 115
    I do the same thing with the foil top on the alcahol bottle. I just pierce it a little with the meat thermometer. It makes it a squeeze bottle. :)