Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better Bark!!!!

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to get the best bark and looking for some ideas.

I saw on a TV show that a guy painted on some honey a couple times during the cooking - what do you think or do you have any ideas?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    When you say "better" or "best", are you referring to flavor, texture, or both? As far as yielding a substantial chewy bark, the honey baste would probably do the trick, but using a rub containing sugar is very common and works well. Obtaining desired flavor may be a little more involved.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I cut the fat cap off the butt before smoking. Then I use sweet rub applied heavy. :)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    I cut the fat cap off the butt before smoking. Then I use sweet rub applied heavy. :)

If we're talking pork butt here (can't tell from original post) I agree, cut the fat cap off - there is plenty of fat in the meat to keep it from drying out. I smear in mustard, then a good coat of rub.

If we're talking brisket, I never cut the fat cap off because the meat will dry out. Good luck.