Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Project bacon has begun!!!

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mom's boyfriend found a local slaughter house and ordered 25 lbs of fresh pork belly. They only cut 18 lbs, so our project is a little smaller now :angry: .
This will be our first try at this.
Cut the bellies in 4-5 lb slabs,did the cure from Hi-Mountain. Bagged and in the beer fridge for 6 days.
102_4937.jpg

102_4940.jpg

102_4941.jpg
Looking forward to breakfast next weekend :)

Comments

• Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    oooh, that's going to be good.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Thanks Tim. btw, does 6 days sound about right for the cure time since they aren't super thick?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Oh wow! That is going to be so much fun. I know vidalia made pork belly bacon, he'll have a good gauge on time, but my buckboard from a roast went 10, so 6 seems good.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Richard, When I cured a boston butt cut in half and deboned I let it cure for 10 days. When I cured some 2.5 inch thick belly I went 7 days after speaking to Stike. With that said I wouldn't think 6 days would be out of hand. The instructions read you can go half the curing time meaning from 10 to 5 days on thinner cuts of meat. I say give it a try.

After frying up some of the bacon I cured using Hi Mountian I felt the bacon had a texture similar to jerky. I was thinking I over/under cured the belly but, after speaking to Little Chef about it she wondered if the bacon could have been sliced with the grain of the meat instead of against the grain. I don't have a slicer so I took the bacon to the guy I got the belly's from and I feel it was possible I had the bacon sliced in the wrong direction. :blush: It's OK don't get me wrong and it has good flavor. It just seems a little chewy. I will be sure I slice or have the bacon sliced against the grain next time. After all I did cure another 5 pound of belly using Tender Quick and it turned out great. Remember NOT to place the meat in a metal container it's suppose to be a non metallic container.

You will be fine i'm sure. Enjoy your Baby Backs today. ;)