Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg coming in 20 minutes!

Phil
Phil Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been watching the forum for some time and finally have an Egg being delivered tonight! Any suggestions on what to try my first time?[p]Thanks![p]Phil

Comments

• Phil,
    I always suggest spatchcock chicken for the first cook. Go to the Naked Whiz's website for details. If that doesnt sound good a pork tenderloin is a very good second choice for a first cook. Welcome to the club.
    CP

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Phil,[p]I always recommend steak, at least 2" thick. Why? Hey, you like to play with fire. That's why you bought the thing! Crank it up to 700+ to get a good sear, then let it dwell (or pull and rest, ala TRex). It's mo exciting, for the first time.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Pakak,
    that's the truth[p]get some honking filets or ribeyes, and get that thing hotter than you can imagine.[p]2 or 3 minutes a side and you'll feel like a caveman (or woman)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Phil,[p]Congrats. I had my egg delivered on 7/1 (I don't even know what year). Let set for 1 day. Told my dad and he brought over a cooler of meat for his 7/4 party.[p]Cook what ever you are comfortable with and ask questions, many fine folks here to help. [p]Check out Dizzy Pig Rubs and Lawn Rangers tools.[p]Welcome,[p]Mike
  • CentralPork,[p]I agree completely...those were the two things I would have suggested (in the same order).[p]For QBabe and I this weekend:[p]Tonight--Tuna
    Tommorow--Pizza
    Sunday--Duck

• Phil,
    A week ago I got my egg and on my first outing I made a steak. So far no matter what I have tried it all seems to taste so great. Best of luck and remember to take pictures.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Phil,
    Welcome to Egg-land and congratulations. I would say keep it simple,lower temps till you get used to it and be sure you know about the flashback. Here is a link to the Naked Whiz website, lots of great info, on the left side the is listed among other things, Flashback, please review and understand it before doing high temp cooks.
    Regards,
    New Bob

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Phil,I spent 4 days reading the Big Green Egg forum archives before I got an egg 3 years ago... everyone said try "SPATCHCOCKED CHICKEN".... and I do not particularlly like yard birds ... (chickens)...but, nevertheless, made it my first Egg cook, because of this forum...BELIEVE ME... you will be in LOVE with your EGG and life will NEVER be the same...NOW, it is SPATCHCOCKED CHICKEN every week....Easy to do and hard to mess up as recommended below....