Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Magic" temperature?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems anytime I want to get to a low temp and stay there (doing a brisket as this is being sent) my BGE wants to settle at 300 deg. +/-10 no matter how fine I fiddle with the drafts. Is this "thermal inertia" or some other effect I have to control outside the draft settings? Is fine-tuning best done with the bottom or top draft? For example, I need 275, but it keeps creeping up to 290 or so.[p]thanks![p]Tim

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Options
    Tim Landers,[p]Your lower vent controls the majority of your temp whereas the upper vent can help to fine tune your temp once you are in the range.[p]How much is your lower vent and upper vent open when you find that you can't do anything but find 300? How much lump are you lighting and how long do you let it go before you are closing the dome?
  • SmokinBoB,[p]I cleaned the firebox out before starting today. I put mostly large chunks on the edge and some smaller in the middle. I lit the middle using an electric starter for 8 minutes, removed it, and spread some of the hot stuff around. I closed it and had the drafts open about where I figured they'd need to be. I let it warm up slowly to 275 (while I ate lunch, abt. 20 minutes), and it seemed to hold right there for 15 minutes or so afterward. I placed my smoking chips and brisket in and it seemed ok for the first half-hour or so, then it just kept creeping up. [p]Maybe my fire-building isn't quite right and the fire gets a little bigger on me? This would mean the drafts can't quite regulate it?[p]thanks for the reply![p]Tim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tim Landers,[p]The same problem keeps popping up lately, controlling lo 'n' slo.
    Lay the larger pieces of lump on the bottom and work your way up ending with the small stuff. Fill your Egg to the tip top of the firebox then, start your fire on the top middle of the lump. One spot - in the middle by making a small depression and positioning your starter cubes. Once they have 'taken' I add a couple of pieces of lump on the top of the flames in a little tent shape. Open the lower vent all the way and leave the daisy wheel off. Close the dome and wait 15 or 20 minutes so the fire can get under way. As the dome temp starts to crawl up you have to watch it. Start by closing the lower vent a little. What you don't want to do is over shoot your target temp (250º - 275º) The heat will come up slowly and as it does try to meet it by controling the lower vent. This is the longest learning curve we have to go through but, in pretty short order it will be second nature to you. I don't even think about it any more. Patience grasshopper you'll get there we all did. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• Sundown,[p]How do I accomplish this when using the electric starter instead of starter cubes, oh wise one? :-)[p]thanks,[p]Tim
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Tim Landers, the method of starting your coals does not matter. You need to creep up on your temperature....as you get within 50 degrees of your temp goal, start closing the lower vent til you stabilize at the temp you want. The top and bottom openings control the airflow and final temperature. The ceramic Egg holds heat and once fully heated,the ceramic is VERY slow to drop in temperature...it holds heat and cooks food from the heat contained in the ceramic.... so, try to get the ceramic at, not over, your temp goal... Use small adjustments as you move the vents....Give it a few minutes to adjust to a change in vent settings and show up on your temp guage...the Egg is incredible stable and accurate...stick with it...the food is AWESOME once you figure it out...not hard...welcome to the BIG GREEN EGG CULT...life will never be the same !!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Tim Landers,[p]Buy starter cubes ;>)[p]But tn slagamater is right, I wasn't very clear on that. Sneak up on your target temp. Doesn't matter how you light the lump.[p]The Cult has you now ...