Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do u lite ur fire?

EgginTigerEgginTiger Posts: 101
edited 1:41AM in EggHead Forum
Ima outa of those big green egg fire starter thingys & looking 4 a cheaper mor economical way of starting my egg. So, how do u lite ur egg?
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,977
    paper towel and oil or a weedburner. weedburner because i have one and its fast, napkin and oil because i always have it in stock
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Handheld MAPP torch or handheld propane. :)
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,443
    I use a Map gas torch. You can get dozens of lights out of one bottle.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    map gas torch, 1 tank lasts me years.
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Dozens??? I am on month 4 and I use it almost every day...many, many, many dozens.... :)
    ·
  • DondgcDondgc Posts: 37
    Weedburner but it is not for the faint of heart or those without safety glasses. Works great though.
    ·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I love my weedburner, as stated above, its really fast, but I loaned it to a friend and have been using papertowel soaked in veggie oil all winter. Works great and it really cheap!
    ·
  • Paper towel drizzled with a little oil

Two for the mini or small
    Three for the XL
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    "Rutland" cubes are available from Ace hardware for approx $10 for 144ea, which can be cut in half with scissors and work fine, for 288 fires....enough to last most of us a year. They are identical to the BGE firestarters in every way.
    ·
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Weedburner. I am selfish, in that, I would never loan it to a friend and have to go back to napkins and oil.
    I have safety glasses and a torch lighter.
    ·
  • MO MuleMO Mule Posts: 79
    I do the napkin thing. Always on hand and it's cheap. It works great. If you find yourself in such a hurry that you don't have time to relax and enjoy a refreshing beverage while the fire is getting up to temp you can use a blow dryer and move it along quickly.
    ·
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Nuke
    Nuke.jpg
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I was going to say the same thing, I'm over a year on one can. -RP
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,977
    just make sure to take your potassium iodide tablet before every meal :laugh:

100_0804.jpg
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    With a match ;)
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol from Wal-Mart.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    Use this for the Large and Small. Just can't
    bring myself to do the Mini with it. For the mini I use the Mapp....
    6579fd3d.jpg
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Agareed. I use them and they are easy and cheap.
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 507
    34 lights was the most I got out of one tank (16.92oz). Not sure how to get more. With so few starts, it is cheaper to buy the cubes and break them in half.

Maybe someone can show the steps on how to light with a MAPP torch (i.e. how long etc)
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • I do the weed burner like you Mickey, but the mini gets the same treatment. I call it my bbq microwave because of that, but the handle is a little charred from it.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Eggnorth, I am with Kim and AZRP. I bought my MAPP torch setup about 10 months ago and am still on my first Fat Boy tank. I use my eggs 3-4 times a week.
    I light in four places, holding the nozzle to the lump for 10-15 seconds per spot. :)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    LawnRanger would come after me if I charred the handle he me :pinch:
    I bet it lights fast :woohoo:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 507
    Must be my nozzle, I'm using one from a regular propane kit I had stored from years ago. I will pick up a 'MAPP' nozzle this weekend and do my analysis again.

I like to use the MAPP in the summer to keep the smoke down while the neighbors have their windows open. I must say, however, the BGE cubes seem to give off much less smoke than the generic brands.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • I've been using a weedburner since I got my egg last Dec and it works great. :) :) :)
    ·
  • Ashley, the last time I bought a box of the BGE starters, I do what I always do, quarter them up and use 1 or 2 depending on the size of your egg. 1 is fine for the small or mini, 2 for the large.
    ·
  • I used up my freebie BGE fire starters a while ago. Then I went to the grocery store and bought some similar things made by Diamond Match company. They look like giant matches - about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide.... ran outta those.

Now I just use paper towel and vegetable oil.

Take a look here, and bookmark this page for future reference, tons of great "newbie" questions and answers:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#whywhiz
    ·
  • StuworldStuworld Posts: 57
    Iso 91 and a strike anywhere match.
    ·
  • I've only had my egg for 3 months so I'm still learning.
    But I use a chimney starter with some newspaper in the bottom. This has worked well for me so far but I just got some wicked good lump and it seems harder to light so I may be trying some other methods.

I have found that I don't like the fire starters. They tend to smoke a lot and if you don't wait long enough they give the food a bad flavor.
    ·
  • misfitmisfit Posts: 358
    Another vote for 91%, and a match...
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,611
    BJ, do you just pour the alcohol over the lump and throw in a match? Or what?
    Judy in San Diego
    ·