Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sams or Costco?

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been a member of Sam's Club for decades, and I've been very happy with their beef (choice) and pork. The chicken is full of preservatives so I won't buy poultry there. Steaks are cut nice and thick and everything is well trimmed. Produce is exceptional. I've been to Costco as a guest a few times and didn't see a difference in the two altho some folks on this forum say they carry prime beef. So, which would you guys suggest joining? I'm not interested in commercial supplies or office equipment. Just food products.
Thanks.

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Patty,
    Yesterday was my first trip to Costco (in Louisville). I have to say that the fish and meat departments had a better selection and they carried prime. The veg/fruit area was far superior to Sams. If I had to chose one it would be Costco.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I belong to both. Since we have both here in in south austin are only a few miles apart, the prices are pretty competitive.
    There isn't much difference between them.
    I prefer the beef at Costco and definitely the chicken when it is the Foster Farms label. I also think Costco carries a better and larger variety of cheese than Sams.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have a Sam's card,my friend has a Costco card. ;) Sometimes we go shopping together.HINT,HINT!Get a friend to join the one you are not a member of and Co-op! :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I am a long term Costco member, and last year decided to do Sam's too. I had both for a year, and at the end, I decided Costco was better - only for the meats/food, I don't buy abunch of other junk there.

I agree with Hoss, get with a friend that has the other membership! Great idea.

Better yet, get a Rest. Depot membership, then you don't need Costco or Sam's at all.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • PattyO
    Options
    I do have a RD membership but never buy beef there, "select" grade. I guess a packer brisket cooked for 15 hrs would break it down. I do get my crabmeat and some produce and spices there. And I like the cookware. Fun. And Royal Oak is a steal compared to Wallys.
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't know where there is any debate between the two when the issue of Prime grade beef availability is considered - Costco wins for me.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    My Rd carries select, choice and prime..personally still prefer Costco's beef over RD..
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    I have both Sam's and Costco- I wind up getting my beef at Costco and my pork at Sam's.If I had to choose, I would go Costco and learn to live with boneless butts.
  • fdxegger
    fdxegger Posts: 69
    Options
    I avoid buying pork at Sams and Wally World. Check the label, most of it contains water and sodium...(salt) as preservative that tastes like crap if you use a rub or seasoning that also contains salt. Same thing with some of the chicken at Sams. I stick to Costco for pork butts, chops and ribs.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Wallys meats don't have expiration dates. They are so loaded with preservatives that they have half lives.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I have both, I've found that my Costcos doesn't have packer briskets. Some folks claim that they do, but I asked and mine didn't. Sam's used to put them out, but lately, I've had to ask for them.
  • achtungpv
    achtungpv Posts: 39
    Options
    My Costco sells them. Bought two packer briskets last week. You could probably ask their meat manager and they'll get them.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Never seen a Sams before but I do buy most of my meat from Costco. They have the thickest cuts and the cheapest prices of anywhere I've seen plus the beef is all Alberta Beef here which is fantastic. Their Lamb is mostly Aussie which is okay but not great. The pork is dirt cheap but they don't have the selection of big cuts like shoulder.. at least that's what it's like here.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    My CostCo has them, but then again, I'm in Texas. You can find Packer Briskets just about everywhere in Texas. I've seen them at regular grocery stores.

We changed from Sam's to CostCo several years ago due to the Pharmacy and that as an Executive Member, I get money back on almost all purchases including Pharm and gas. Pays for our annual membership.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Costco for me. Prime beef and I've bought several smaller packer briskets as well. Used to belong to both, but I much prefer Costco, so we dropped the Sam's membership. I think the pork is better at Costco too