Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Polder Alternative

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been much talk about a Polder remote sensor digital thermometer. I called them three days in a row. (got their outlet store - a recorded message that they would call back within one business day. They still haven't called. I guess their computers don't talk to people.[p]So I went to a Dayton's Department Store's Food Section. (A local up-scale department store with good quality merchandise.) They had a Taylor Professional Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer that is fantastic. Guaranteed to withstand an internal oven temp of 492 F. And it has a life-time warranty (whose life-time I don't know). But it works super well. And the timer can be used independently of the sensor. Price was $24.95 for everything.[p]Taylor is a Co. in Oak Brook, Ill. (60523) that has been making thermometers since 1851.[p]Anthony Up North

Comments

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    Sounds like you got a steal! I got my "polder" type thermometer from brookstone.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    polder.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North,[p]Did you call
    Polder Thermometers ask for DENISE at ext 245
    800-431-2133[p]Polder is only a buyer of these thermometers, they don't make them. They are made in China (or around there) and sold with dozens of names on them. I would never believe 490 deg and unless your willing to fry one, I wouldn't go above 350 and then only with foil wrapped around the braided cable. The area just inside the dome is some of the hottest spots in the Egg.[p]Tim

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Tim M,[p]My error. I did not mean 492 degrees. Obviously that is much to hot. Rather it is guaranteed for 392 degrees. That is what I meant to type. But I will follow your advice and not go much above 350. [p]Sorry about the error. And thanks for the caution.[p]Anthony Up North