Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Stand

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Followup on the mini discussion of this morning.

Had my son forward pics of his mini when it went belly up.

It was a normal cook and he had shut down the mini.

When he returned later this is what he found

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Of course BGE replaced the base and fire box without hesitation.

I haven't used the stand since lcb posted the same pics - I use little green feet on a slab of granite.

Comments

• Wow! :( Thanks for the post! I might have to end up building a box for it.
  • I think Chubby's solution with the three point wrap with a heat resistant material is a good one that solves a couple issues:

Uses a material that will compress as the base expands with heat - may have to change it occasionally if it doesn't bounce back after compression

Keeps the base steady in the stand - doesn't move around in the stand when lifting and closing the dome
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    O.K., I'll put the tape on this weekend. Mickey sent me some more than a month ago. :whistle:
    Thanks Frank.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow! Ain't that the shi!s. I'm like you I wouldn't use that stand anymore. I can't help but, think you could do/use the broken base for something.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I ordered my Mini Nest shortly after receiving the Mini for Christmas. But when I first set the Mini in the nest I immediately had an uneasy feeling. I couldn't see how the Mini could expand when fired up, especially at high temperatures.

I hung the nest on the wall and never used it again.

Not wanting to set it directly on a stone I looked for other options. I noticed the indentions on the bottom of the Mini and realized it was meant for use with the green feet. I had some extra feet and tried it. It's been like that ever since.

The only thing I did to the feet was to cut out some rubber from my koi pond liner and glue to the bottom of the feet. It helps keep it from sliding.

And I was told that the heat would scorch the Corian countertops in The Coop. Not so. The Corian is just fine after many Mini cooks.

Chubby's idea should help reduce the chance of the Mini cracking.

Spring "Break On Dotted Line" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    I am using mine just like it came. I hauled it all over the southeast and cooked everything on it, low temp, high temp, everything. It might come apart tomorrow . If so I will JB weld it back together, and keep on going.
  • Tried to talk him out of it - no dice

IMG00004-20110226-1328.jpg

he's planning on JB Weld and use it for tailgating at Houston Texans games.

I think the bottom vent is open too wide :S
  • BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Okay...Those pics just cured me from wanting to buy a stand for my mini. :ohmy: I'll just use the feet as well.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Never did like the mini stand so I just set the little guy down on a landscaping cement block. Now I have a sweet table with the mini resting on fire bricks.

Sorry to see this happen. :S
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Ha! Think of the flair ups you can get flipping burgers. :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    You do indeed have a sweet table for your mini, I've had table envy for over a year now.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    That's kinda cute. Makes me feel sort of inferior with that worm-drive clamp holding mine together. :laugh:

Good seeing you folks in Salado.

Mike
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I have seen that happen a couple of times using the stand with the mini egg.I was told they are going to make a new stand for the mini.

Larry