Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahi tuna salad / Caveman steak

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two separate cooks here:

Sunday was my oldest daughter's birthday and she wanted seared ahi tuna. Since we had a pretty big lunch, I decided to do this as a salad. I got about 20 ounces of ahi tuna from my 'fish man'. Sesame oil, ponzo sauce, Dizzy Pig Tsunami spin and a little S&P. Then on to a hot half-moon griddle for 90 seconds per side, rested and sliced. Served on an Asian salad, Asian dressing and some Wasabi on the side:
DSC_0468.jpg
DSC_0469.jpg

Sidebar: I recently bought a Maverick IR thermometer. I had the half-moon CI griddle on the front half of the grid (to keep from getting burned reaching over the hot lump :ohmy: ). The dome temp read 500*, but the IR thermometer read 830* and 840* on each end of the CI griddle! Obviously the griddle was blocking the heat from reaching the dome thermometer. I just thought it was an interesting reminder that the dome thermometer does not always reflect the cooking temp (sometimes by a large difference). BTW - I did 'shoot' the glowing lump, but it exceeded the 1250* limit of the IR.

Next cook - tonight I hottubbed a 2.3# / 2" thick Choice porterhouse steak, then seasoned with a little Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Starting temp was 86* after the hot tubbing. I had fresh lump glowing in the large with a dome temp of 500*.
DSC_0471.jpg
Threw the steak right onto the lump, got a quick shot and closed the dome for 3 minutes. Flipped and went another 3 minutes.
DSC_0472.jpg
Dwelled at firering level until internal was 125* (about 8 more minutes).
DSC_0474.jpg
Ready for a rest of 5 minutes.
DSC_0475.jpg
Meat trimmed off the bone (too bad I have cats, not a dog): :laugh:
DSC_0476.jpg
Served with crabmeat saute'd in butter with green onions, garlic, lemon juice, plus saute'd mushrooms and some saute'd fresh asparagus from my Dad's bed. Topped off with one of Jana's great salads and a glass of Cab:
AWESOME meal (Jana LOVED the steak)!!!
DSC_0477.jpg
Money shot:
DSC_0479.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    EGGCELLENT vittles Clark! :) It ALL looks GREAT! Have a few for poor Ole Hoss @ the GCF! :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Looks great. :P . To heck with the dogs, the bone is the cooks treat in our house. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Clark, STOP that!!
    Good eats! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Great looking cooks Clark! Tuna is a winner.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Wow!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Some great meals Clark
    The tuna looks amazing :)

Shane
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments. They were quick and fun cooks (though both consumed considerable amounts of lump) :( :)

Gotta try searing the tuna on my salt block next time.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Clark it just doesn't get any better than that, sure she loved it and also spending quality family time
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Very impressive, Clark. You sure know how to put together a great plate.

Did you find the caveman technique added anything to the steak as far as flavor, texture etc? Or was it just about the same as a usual sear or reverse sear? I'm just curious and haven't tried it myself yet.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Chris,
    More a novelty (drama for guests :) ), IMO. The steak was good, and 'The Princess' definitely liked it - which, bacsically is all that counts. :ohmy:

There was definitely more actually char (burnt meat) than with TRex or other techniques. The char is what some people think might be carcinogenic. Hey, we only eat red meat about every 4-6 weeks, so no risk in excessive exposure to carcinogens from steak! ;)

I would do it again but would hot tub it to a higher initial temp or use a slightly thinner piece of meat so the sear would complete the cook without the roast/dwell part.

If you like seasonings or marinades on steak, this would not work.

I'm ot sure how well a ribeye, with all the fat, would do this way - might be too much burn.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Yes! and Yes!
    context is important :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Good point about the ribeye, that's the cut I normally do.

Thanks for the detailed reply, you pre-answered my next question B)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This