Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ahi tuna salad / Caveman steak

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two separate cooks here:

Sunday was my oldest daughter's birthday and she wanted seared ahi tuna. Since we had a pretty big lunch, I decided to do this as a salad. I got about 20 ounces of ahi tuna from my 'fish man'. Sesame oil, ponzo sauce, Dizzy Pig Tsunami spin and a little S&P. Then on to a hot half-moon griddle for 90 seconds per side, rested and sliced. Served on an Asian salad, Asian dressing and some Wasabi on the side:
DSC_0468.jpg
DSC_0469.jpg

Sidebar: I recently bought a Maverick IR thermometer. I had the half-moon CI griddle on the front half of the grid (to keep from getting burned reaching over the hot lump :ohmy: ). The dome temp read 500*, but the IR thermometer read 830* and 840* on each end of the CI griddle! Obviously the griddle was blocking the heat from reaching the dome thermometer. I just thought it was an interesting reminder that the dome thermometer does not always reflect the cooking temp (sometimes by a large difference). BTW - I did 'shoot' the glowing lump, but it exceeded the 1250* limit of the IR.

Next cook - tonight I hottubbed a 2.3# / 2" thick Choice porterhouse steak, then seasoned with a little Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Starting temp was 86* after the hot tubbing. I had fresh lump glowing in the large with a dome temp of 500*.
DSC_0471.jpg
Threw the steak right onto the lump, got a quick shot and closed the dome for 3 minutes. Flipped and went another 3 minutes.
DSC_0472.jpg
Dwelled at firering level until internal was 125* (about 8 more minutes).
DSC_0474.jpg
Ready for a rest of 5 minutes.
DSC_0475.jpg
Meat trimmed off the bone (too bad I have cats, not a dog): :laugh:
DSC_0476.jpg
Served with crabmeat saute'd in butter with green onions, garlic, lemon juice, plus saute'd mushrooms and some saute'd fresh asparagus from my Dad's bed. Topped off with one of Jana's great salads and a glass of Cab:
AWESOME meal (Jana LOVED the steak)!!!
DSC_0477.jpg
Money shot:
DSC_0479.jpg

Comments