Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Criollo chicken

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took chicken thighs out of the freezer to cook for dinner last night. Was craving Mojo Criollo but haven't been able to find it in the grocery. So I made the marinade from what I had on hand. It came out just delicious!

Put 3 cloves of garlic, toasted cumin seeds, oregano, salt, fresh lemon & orange juice and olive oil in the mini food processer and whipped it up. The orange was not super sweet, so add a little honey.
IMAG0295.jpg

Put that with the chicken into a Ziplock along with the leftover orange halves, a white onion and cilantro. Let it marinate in the fridge all day.
IMAG0297.jpg

On the egg at 400 for about a half an hour, turning once.
IMAG0299.jpg

Plated with Cuban black beans, avocado & tomato salad and a buttered tortilla. Yum!
IMAG0300.jpg

Never thought this day would come! Bella & Blaze happy together. Our older cat has still not warmed up to her yet, heck, she has not warmed up to Blaze and it's been 4 years!
IMAG0301.jpg

And finally, our cactus in bloom. So pretty.
IMAG0304.jpg

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Teresa....everything looks really tasty.....even the buttered tortilla which reminds me of my high school days, there was a maid who cooked the most delicious ones and had them ready every day when I returned home for lunch Deliciosas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Teresa:

That looks so delicious, and the pet blog...I feel like we're neighbors!
    Judy in San Diego
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nice cook, Teresa, but it's making me terribly hungry! I put together a mojo for a cut up chicken and it's marinating now. Can't wait to get home and cook it and her yours is, taunting me :lol:

Great cactus shot too!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Beli, I grew up in Oxnard which is a largely Hispanic area. My best friend came from a large Mexican family and her mother had the same snack after school. Charred on a stove burner and buttered. Mmmmmm, the memories.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    We practically are neighbors Judy!
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    It was a delicious dinner. Tonight is hot dogs & beer for us, in honor of Opening Day for the Dodgers.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great! I bet your homemade version was better than anything you can buy in the store! I did something similar once...but I made them into tacos and topped with AZRP's green sauce.

IMG_0532.JPG
    I wasn't a huge fan of this Mojo sauce. Next time I will make my own.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG
    Shoulda added some black beans to the veggie mix!

served on our finest china:
    IMG_0543.JPG
    ...was missing rice to round it out!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Teresa, it's hard to believe you can't find the mojo criollo in Palm Springs. Our stores have several brands. Still, I'm sure your homemade was much better! It looks really good.

I'm glad the pets are finally getting along.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    That looks delicious! I bet the veggies were wonderful.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    I know Faith! I found it once at Walmart, but they don't have it anymore. Have looked at most of the groceries. But the homemade was wonderful.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lookin YUMMEE as usual.I really like the Mojo marinade. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I really like the meal, fresh, lite and a whole bunch of great flavors. Nice Teresa!
    Nice when the kids get along. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Yes it is. Considering we are in the 90's today, need fresh and light meals. To early for this heat.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Teresa, are you going to the Fest in Upland in May?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Unfortunately not this year. The fiancee's daughter is getting married that day. But it is a great Fest. Hope they have it in the spring agan next year.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That does look very tasty Teresa,Ilove all the elements together,It took 3 months before my rescue cat would not beat up my 85lb Golden.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Love that Dale! All 3 of our pets are rescues but the oldest cat is queen bee by far. She is not happy to share the spotlight.