Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there such thing as too much Bacon on ABTs?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used a whole slice of bacon on each of my ABT. Is that too much? I was told to use only 1/2 slice, but my peepers were all about 3 inchs long and thick. No overlapping, but I didn't need toothpicks.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Eggsnert,[p]I woulda said no, a few years ago. Now I've gotten to the place where I don't care for the greasy taste so much. It's why I use less and have started playing around with prosciutto (as suggested by madmax, for various things).
  • Pakak,
    you might also give pancetta a try. .. about half the cost of prociutto. . .its a little fattier and has a more smokey tasty to it i think... .sydney used it on some portobello mushrooms and it was great, and i've used it sauted with mushrooms and other stuff as both a filling for the tenderloin steak, and as a pizza topping, and i know chuck has used it in his strombolis with good results. ....

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning Eggsnert,[p]I agree that a whole piece of bacon is necessary, especially on the larger peppers. These are a batch I did last weekend and almost all were at least 2-1/2 inches long.[p]ABTsDone3.jpg[p]and this batch was done the weekend before, again with a full piece of bacon per pepper (but then I really like bacon).[p]ABTPrep2-63.jpg[p]Mostly it is whatever floats your boat![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggsnert,
    A whole slice is best. I like to use thin-sliced bacon because it does not tend to overwhelm the combined flavors of a good ABT. Plus it just goes on easier and holds the ABT together better. The key is to select a bacon that has the flavor you and your guests tend to like (hickory smoked, maple flavored, plain, etc). [p]I've also had good luck with using turkey bacon lately. It goes better with my continuing diet.[p]Here's a couple of tricks I learned along the way you may find useful. [p]First tip is to chill or even freeze the meat you plan to insert in the ABT. The reason is to help keep the cream cheese cool as long as possible, thereby keeping it from bubbling out while the bacon crisps up (the bacon is the only thing that actually needs cooking)[p]Second, after your ABT's cool down a bit, slice them crossways into smaller, bite-size pieces (usually 3 per ABT) and pin each with a toothpick. It makes them much easier to eat and you can avoid the problem of cream cheese squirting all over your floor.[p]
    Spring "Now I Want An ABT" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Hey..it ain't rite to be talkin of other mens strombolis like that. You got no shame Max...what a man does in his own house is up to hisself..plus its safe to just keep it to yourself if'n you have some knowledge like that..folks get real mad at all sorts of things..and there ain't just no telling what all might happen if'n you embarass them..just ask Grampa "Its mine and I'll wash it as fast as I wanna" Bouchardie....[p]StumpBaby[p]

• Eggsnert,[p]I think the amount of bacon needed will depend on the size of the peppers. Of course, a fellow can use as much bacon as you want but if you do larger quantities, it can get pricy. Also, if you use a drip pan for larger amounts, be sure to watch for a grease fire. One of these days I will tell the forum a story about a grease fire in the large Egg that would make a standard flash back look like a candle. [p]I like to use very thinly sliced bacon and can usually always get away with just a half slice of bacon per pepper. Another thing, the less bacon, the shorter the cooking time. The peppers in this picture all have a half slice of bacon. [p]33MVC-018E.jpg[p]Dave[p]

• StumpBaby,
    well, i would normally agree with you, but in this case, chuck does such wonderful things with his strombolis that you just have to kinda sneak in their, take a little sniff, and then a little nibble. .. .so, your' right, when it comes to chucks strombolis i have no shame at all. . . .shoot, last year at eggfest, i had get his own wife outa the way to make sure i got my fair share of his strombolis. .. good stuff i'll tell you!!!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Where I see Stump I know I'm about to wander through the looking glass and without benefit of any mind enhancing chemicals.
  • Sundown,
    LOL. ..sometimes you just have to respond in a way that he'll understand. .. i guess it's getting kind of scarey when i can both understand and speak 'stumpanese'....