Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chickamauga Chicken

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came up with this recipe in March 2007, before I had my Egg. It has nothing to do with Chickamauga (a town, a Native American tribe, and Civil War battle near Chattanooga), my son just liked the sound of "Chickamauga Chicken".

DSC_0174resized.jpg

Chickamauga Chicken

Ingredients
4 each Tortillas corn, sliced as described (2 yellow, 2 blue if possible)
3 ounce Ranch dressing
1 ounce Bbq sauce
4 slices lemon
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper ground
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper ground
1 teaspoon smoked Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
4 ea Chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless pounded to 1/4 inch thin
1/2 cup Cheese shredded, (do a blend, sharp cheddar, pepper jack, colby, etc)
2 ounce Black olives sliced
2 each Green onion julienne sliced

Instructions
Cut a tortilla in half and place halves on top of each other. Then slice into 1/4" slices sideways into strips (your final pieces should be 1/4" thick by 2-3").

Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a skillet so that the oil is about 1/4" deep. Fry the tortilla pieces in batches until all are golden brown. Set aside on a paper towel on a plate or raised rack to drain. Season each batch with a little salt or some of the chicken rub.

DSC_0139resized.jpg

Mix ranch dressing & bbq sauce together to make the 'Mauga Sauce (Trevor's name for it) and set aside, preferably in a squirt bottle.

Pound chicken to an even thickness. Rub both sides of chicken breasts with a lemon slice and then rub with dry spices.

DSC_0141resized-1.jpg

Grill over DIRECT heat for 4-5 minutes per side with the Egg at 350f.

DSC_0144resized.jpg

Top with cooked tortilla strips, green onion, black olives, and cheese. I threw in some cilantro too.

DSC_0154resized.jpg

Place back in the Egg at 350-400f over INDIRECT heat for 10-15 minutes until breasts hit 160f internal temp.

DSC_0160resized.jpg

Drizzle with the 'Mauga Sauce (bbq sauce/ranch) and serve.

DSC_0177resized.jpg

This is a family favorite. The fried tortilla strips really push this dish over the top, IMHO.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments