Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tasters etiquette at a fest

Options
13»

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    At one fest Kim and I were stuffing fritos with raw Italian sausage and someone took a couple off the tray and ran off with them, before they were cooked. I Denver one year, egret made ABTs, after he pulled them he foiled the plate of them and told this one guy they had to cool so he could cut them up. He turned his back for jest a second and the guy ran up, ripped the foil off and grabbed a couple of them and ran off. -RP
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    you are sure making Fl Poolman look wimpy :lol:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    So I guess Egret needs the Secret Service, FBI, Ranger Snipers, State Police, AND Local Law Enforcement?? :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

Seriously though...the Atlanta crowd is a TOUGH one!!! Like feeding a pack of wolves! I think we all needed body guards in 2009!! That was UGLY! :blink:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    SO Jules...I rembember this moment WELL...I am laboring over the grill cooking a leg of lamb for YOU ...you bring me NO dip while the savages have about cleaned you out...and there is ONE spoonful I can scrape from the bottom...and THIS is the thanks I get???? Sheesh!!! :ohmy: :angry: IF you remember, the 'bird' was because you didn't tell me you were serving! :angry::angry: NO Lamb for you at Florida!! :laugh: :P
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Julie, I can NOT agree more here!!!! I don't eat, unless sombody provides something different than what I have been smelling/prepping all day!! So a big AMEN to that!
    I remember in Atlanta, on a freezing cold day, the 'tasters' getting mad I was feeding you and the others in the booth before them. It was UGLY!
    Great post! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    So NOW you tell the truth!!! :blink: I was SO wondering what make you go catatonic last year!!! You should have told us!! We could have kept Al at bay!!! Sheesh!! :laugh: We'll keep a closer eye this year, as clothing IS mandatory on the Deck! :laugh: B)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Julie: Great post! Have sent a link to it to my family, who are attending their first fest! Thanks for taking the time to post this!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Saw that happen to Egret even at the Mini Fest!!!! Even a fest that you think is intimate! Egret made his ABT's, and was allowing to cool and slice, and ONE J@ck@ss scarfed down two, before we could even stop him. What is it with People??
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Julie one of the best post I have seen in a long time. I don't know why some of these people come to a fest as a taster and think it's a all out pig out. How many of us cooks get all done for the day and are starving. Thanks God for the After Party. :woohoo:

Thanks For All You Cooks. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Thank you Mike and your raviolis.... you see this tall guy with a beer in his hand and a bit of a brush cut and scruffy beard of sorts at the time and a cigar came along and took the last one I had set aside for you.. Yes that is what happened!! I remember it all very clearly now!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    :laugh: :P :woohoo: I thought Pat was trying to steal the spoon from you? :ohmy: I did not have to wash that pot or spoon when the lobster dip was gone it was CLEAN!! That one of the most special and fun dishes I have ever cooked hands down.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    loco-engr that was definitely NOT your fault! Thanks for sharing your table space with me! It was my first fest, and I wasn't sure about how to set up. Oklahoma in weeks will be my 5th fest, I'm getting it down now. Are you coming?

At least the kids were cute, and asked about taking the pickles.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Last year at the Atlanta Motor Speedway was much better as there was a ton more room for cooks & tasters. People waited in line to be fed and most were very cordial.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Lobstah egg rolls at Rod's were pretty frikkin' amazing... ;)
  • vidalia1
    Options
    :S :pinch: :blink: :huh:
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Julie,

And someone ate my perogies you made for me 3 years in a row...damn them... B);):)
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks Pat,
    Sounds good to me, I am really looking forward to this.
    See you soon.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    An etiquette board should be erected at the entrance to all fests to lay out for the tasters how the system works.
    At a number of cook offs I have been involved in here we have erected crowd control barriers surrounding the cooks, and the tasters stayed outside the barriers. (the cooks were all coralled inside a big compound and the spectators moved around the outsides watching what was going on)
    This meant the food was set back from the crowds until the cooks were ready to distribute it, but also that curious members of the public were not in danger of burning themselves on the barbeques. We found that this certainly kept the crowds back, and also that the cooks had room to circulate in comfort and chat and visit together and to taste each others food before the rush of the crowds of people who were only there as tasters. It also meant that the cooks did not have to spend their time minding their equipment, and there is nothing worse than people constantly opening up your egg to see what is inside, with no thought for the cook who is trying to maintain temperature and get is food cooked properly.
    I am firmly of the opinion that those who are providing and cooking food should get every oportunity to taste the food that others are cooking before it all disappears into those people who are only there to feed themselves and dont want to have to cook for their kids when they go home!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    One thing that I have been able to do at the Seattle fest, since it's smaller and draws a very well-behaved crowd is to take trays of food around and offer tastes to other cooks.

A lot of cooks will have black boards or white boards at their stations saying what they're serving next, what time it's anticipated to be done, etc., and I think this discourages people from opening up eggs and that kind of behaviour.

I agree that some sort of guideline board at the entrance would be a really good idea at the fests where rude behaviour has been an issue in the past. But I think many of the smaller fests probably draw the same kinds of well-behaved crowds that the Seattle fest does.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    OH YEAH! '09,that was the year I decided to cook.UNBELIEVABLE how rude and OBNOXIOUS that TRIBE was!The AfterParty was well worth the trip.Great folks,Great times,GREAT memories! :)