Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

optimal table height?

Jerzee
Jerzee Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm currently in the process of drawing up plans to build my table this weekend and am using table plans found online (mainly NakedWhiz's Way Cool table) as a general guide.

I also want to incorporate some of what Martini Mark did with the lower shelf storage under the egg, a cabinet with doors, and a built in drawer.

tablemartinimarkinmsp.jpg

However, all the plans I come across have working heights around 31.5 - 32". This seems short, no? I'm 6' and would think a height of 36" or so would be more serviceable.

Anyone out there with a table that can advise?

I'm also thinking of making the overall table length 70". Too long? [img size=150][/img]

Comments

• reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    for what this is worth, i recently built one as well and used a 3' x 6' peice of wood from the local hardware shop as my table top...not particle board or anything but i think either birch or ash peices glued together. i personally like having the extra room.

i am 6' as well and as soon as i cut the posts (i used 4x4 treated) mine were i think at either 32 or 33", i though holy crap! this is way too short. once i got the table put together, i was suprised at how much i like the height. I am not really going too much prepping or work on the actual table top so mine is all wood but am going to be doing a concrete counter top to butt up to the egg...maybe this summer.

Some other guys and gals might have some more thought but i am happy with mine at that height. I do not have doors or anything either but would definitely like to.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm 6'1" and had similar thoughts, so I made my table where the top was 34". It was too tall. I cut it down to 31" and am much happier.

The table height is based on typical kitchen counter height. The lip of the egg with be 3-4" higher than that, so it is already taller than you realize.

Just remember you'll be reaching to the back of the egg to flip or stir things from time to time, and the angle of your spatula/spoon/implement of choice will be a little unwieldy if the egg is too high.
  • I'm with you on that...6' isn't really all that tall (where I'm at too), but a lot of standard stuff is way to short for my comfort.
    When I built my counters (in the house) I went higher than standard.
    Hate the idea of slumping over and having a back ache, doing the dishes.
    However 36" seems to be a good one for me in the kitchen. However my Egg table is at 34" and feels good.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    The Egg in your photo is sitting to low in the table for the dome to open properly. It must have an opening in the back that we can't see. You may want to take this into account B)
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    As always, thank you all for the expert advice. :)

I think I'll shoot for a 32-33" height.
  • Remember it is easier to leave the legs long and cut some off later. It's a little difficult to add! I ended up Putting casters on mine to raise it to a comfortable level, and I'm 6'-3".
    War Eagle and pass the Sauce!
  • Remember it is easier to leave the legs long and cut some off later. It's a little difficult to add! I ended up Putting casters on mine to raise it to a comfortable level, and I'm 6'-3".
    [img size=150][/img]
    War Eagle and pass the Sauce!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    22 1/2" works for me B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I always feel that counter heights are too short. And I'm less than 5'6". You could build it so the egg is at the proper height for the lid to open and all, and then have the counter you're working at taller. I think most kitchen counters are too short.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    I'd rather too short than too tall. 'Tis true you can cut down the height. From my own experience and years in food prep, I ask the question, "How much prep are you going to do on that table?" I would be willing to bet you will do more than 90% of your prep in the kitchen (close to the fridge, sink, garbage and stove top) and then haul a platter or tub of ingredients out to the egg and load it. It is nice to have a landing spot for the tub or platter but slicin' and dicin' veggies, mixin' and fixin' sauces and rubs or like kneading bread dough? Not so much.

Every year I fix major food in a camping situation in the big outdoors. It is a different feel and there isn't any kitchen so it is what it is. But at home I like the kitchen.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    optimal height for work surface is the distance from the floor to you knuckles... rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    oops!.... cancel my last bit.... the optimal height.. for work surface is the distance from the floor to the bottom of your fist when your arm is elbow is bent to 90 degrees.....
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Now that's funny! :laugh:

with a step stool I can make 33" work ;)
  • I agree with you. Elbow high is the right way to go. That is why my table was designed to accomdate bar stools. ;)
    100_2555.jpg
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Something I've wondered about most of the tables I've seen. It would seem to me one would have to lean in a bit to put things on and off the egg, flip, etc. This would be hard on one's back.

For that reason, I've always thought the tables that had the front part cut out and then the eggs slid in (rather than a hole that they were dropped into) would be easier on the back. You can have the egg put into the table only as far as needed to sit safely on the shelf and thus could get right up near the egg when working in it. And still your shelf space on the sides of the eggs.

Thoughts?
  • I thought about leaving the front open when building this table. I would have been easier to tile the top and not have to make the round tile cuts, but with the front open and the table on wheels I was worried about the eggs falling out when moving them or, one of my of my overserved friends knocking it out of the table.