Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked fire box! Help any one!

Pro du Bar B Q
Pro du Bar B Q Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is it normal that after 3 years, a fire box has a crack?
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

thanks for your advices,

Mike
Bon appétit !!

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Pretty normal, unfortunately! All mine are cracked. My small fire box is in several pieces. No problem with continued usage. If you're the original owner, this is covered under warranty.
  • bellw
    bellw Posts: 26
    My firebox cracked and eventually broke all the way through. I used it for at least 1 1/2 years in the cracked condition and then had it replaced. This is a warranty item and is fully covered by BGE. To replace I removed from the grill & took pictures of the firebox (pointing out the discrepancy). Forwarded to my local BGE dealer and they in turn forwarded to the area distributor. Took a couple of weeks as I had it shipped with the dealer's normal delivery (didn't have to pay shipping charges). If I had the dealer ship special, I would have had to pay shipping, but no problems, I was still able to use the original firebox while awaiting the replacement.
  • thank you Egret,
    I bought it used from a dealer that now sells Kamado Joe.

Mike
    Bon appétit !!
  • thanks for your comments and advices. At least I can continue using it, I wouldn't live without it! :laugh:

Mike
    Bon appétit !!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    no its not normal after 3 years to have crack, for me its usually in several pieces in that time ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • several pieces??
    Bon appétit !!
  • fishlessman
    i really abuse mine temp wise, melt thru fire grates etc. mines been like this for maybe 4 years now, still works, someday ill get the free replacement, but for now it doesnt matter, this is an old picture, would be interesting to do a recount :laugh:

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mine cracked within the first year. It's now cracked all the way around the holes as well as straight down. I have seen some pic's of fire box's in pieces and put back together with JB weld to cook again. It looks like you can cook a lot more on your egg with out too much worry. ;)
  • insane :blink:

it's recomforting to see that there worst than my tiny little crack.

Mike
    Bon appétit !!
  • Thanks from Montreal Canada

Mike
    Bon appétit !!
  • fishlessman
    you have alot of cooks left with that firebox ;)
    fukahwee maine

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If you bought it used, you have no warranty. But not to worry. My firebox on my large Egg broke within the first year. The firebox has been broken for 9 years and I have never had to replace it. Once they break, the stress that builds up during heating and cooling is released and it won't crack or break any further. I still have the replacement firebox in my garage that I got 9 years ago. So, don't worry about it unless it breaks so badly that you can't put it in the Egg and get it to stay in shape. More information is here:

Cracked Fireboxes
    The Naked Whiz
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Thanks, Naked. I normally use mine in the summer, so as to not heat up the house. Wasn't aware of this problem. Up north, I'm sure the condensation and expansion of the ceramic can be a problem.
    Nice to have so many sources of info on things.
  • Pro du Bar B Q wrote:
    I bought it used from a dealer that now sells Kamado Joe.

Can't we deal directly with HQ (or other dealers) for warranty issues?

Yours seems a long way off from being a problem, but lots of guys get the warranty replacement and then leave it on the shelf until needed, then you aren't scrambling later when it really goes. (Like TNW described)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Wow! Is that after the JB Weld job? I just used some for a wood project where I needed to relocate some screw holes adjacent to the old ones. Gotta luv that stuff!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    wow, i suppose you use a shop vac to remove the ash around the firebox, unless you enjoy jigsaw puzzle? when you get the replacement, you can extend your flagstone patio B) :woohoo:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    its just puzzled back together, no jb weld ;) it actually stays together in the truck or trailer like that :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    it goes back pretty quick if you lay them out and keep them in order, doesnt need to be cleaned as often with all the cracks, lots of airflow :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Mike, i recall the redesigned firebox has slit(s) that acts as expansion joint, don't remember how many slits and how long though, also don't remember if they are between the air holes or extend from the air holes.

wondering if you can 'save' it by cutting a slit along the crack :whistle: BUT if you do that you'd probably void the replacement warranty.

Gary
    canuckland
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Yeah the new FB has a 1/4 inch cut down one side.
  • tenntom
    tenntom Posts: 57
    Mine has been cracked like that for 3 or 4 years..Course we have been cooking on them - 1 large and one is a real mini for about 18 years...It still cooks Great--doing some pork chops tonite....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, I'm talking about heating and cooling from the fire, not the weather, :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I wonder if it is really "used" since you purchased it from a dealer, as opposed to an egg he did a few demo cooks on. Maybe a dealer could chime in but I would think that would carry a warranty....
  • The Naked Whiz wrote:
    If you bought it used, you have no warranty. But not to worry. My firebox on my large Egg broke within the first year. The firebox has been broken for 9 years and I have never had to replace it. Once they break, the stress that builds up during heating and cooling is released and it won't crack or break any further. I still have the replacement firebox in my garage that I got 9 years ago. So, don't worry about it unless it breaks so badly that you can't put it in the Egg and get it to stay in shape. More information is here:

Cracked Fireboxes

I guess the saw cut was a great idea? The person who suggested that to the Egg must have been in the field of some type of similar material handling and prevention, I'll bet. You have a great website, congrats! Your hard work is paying off.
  • Hi,

thanks for your advice an experience. Actualy I bought it"demo" from an Egg dealer in my home town. Paid $500 cdn for a medium. Didn't have instruction booklet, dvd or even those little foot. She says that she doesn't have the seriel number, she sold it to me for a large, and when I got home, I realized it was a medium. I then called her to telle her, but she was liyng right to my face, so I don't think i'll talk to her anymore.

Mike
    Bon appétit !!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I'd call the mother ship...let them know you purchased it from a dealer, and see what they say...can't hurt.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I would call the mothership and talk to Bruce Bohannon (770)934-5300 If he don't answer leave a message and a return cell phone number so when he calls you need to take the call and explain to him the situation and see what he says. Keep your cell phone on you until he calls back. Tim