Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saved by the Egg

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This loaf was in serious trouble for over proofing since the indoor oven was so unreliable. However the trusty green one came through.

FirstEggLoaf.jpg

Still too warm to slice.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mmmmm I got a knife. :evil: :P
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Hey, Tim, glad to see you here. I was in such a hurry to get the loaf on the egg I whizzed right past a few best practices like stabilizing the temp, it was kind of a wild ride. Since the egg didn't really have time to get to 'clean burn' stage the loaf is a little extra 'smoky'. I suppose that means I might be the only one making sandwiches and toast. I really like the whole wheat loaf though. It is a change of pace from the white loaves of late.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I'm sure it will be just fine. How did they bake bread long ago. I'm sure a whiff of smoke tainted it some as well.
  • lookin' good....where's the mango butter?
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Mango butter, indeed.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks good buddy! Simple white loaf? Thought of you when I had a mango the other day. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • whaddya mean still too warm to slice??

Our family has eaten no store-bought bread for 30+ years now, and on that special bread baking day, there's a sacrificial loaf that gets sliced and slathered with real butter while it is still too hot to handle - but we manage to cut it just fine :)

That loaf is gone within 15 minutes (others too hot to slice?). The other loaves are spared the onslaught until they're cooled.

"I'm the bread machine" and I freeze off 6-16 loaves of bread on any given Saturday as needed to keep us going.

Now that I've had my BGE for a few weeks, it will be my next bread oven. (last month I needed to make 20+ loaves for our neighborhood progressive dinner, and I wasn't going to chance that to a brand new eggsperience.

Salut!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    The lighting is deceiving. It is actually a whole wheat loaf, recipe is "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" It is true, I can't even look at a mango without thinking about you and 'the desert chick'. What a fine time we had that hot summer night. 'Cept I was sober. AHH, the Internet.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Hahahahaha!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Smokeybreeze, Welcome aboard. I have been baking about as long as you. I have baked production myself. Went though a hundred pounds of flour under three weeks about two years ago. Bread was flying out of the oven. Boules and batards, miches and baguettes all delicious. Today I was alone with my thoughts. I have tasted hot bread and actually prefer it cooled and done in the middle. Now I am more apt to hold some dough in the fridge and bake El Pan de cada dia (daily bread) on demand.

I suspect you will love your egg for baking.
  • I certainly understand that sentiment and the benefits of cooling the bread until 'just right'. Our 'just right' may well be different than yours. Thanks for the insight.